Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to make oil pick up align/fit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to make oil pick up align/fit?

I installed a rollmaster double roller, the oil pump shims, and washers under my windage tray for clearance. Now, how do I make the pick up tube fit over the main stud? I stick the tube into the pump first and then look over at the pick-up support that goes over the main studs and its not even close to aligning.

How are you guys making it fit?
Old 03-04-2006, 09:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see you have been busy Youssif.

How much are you shimming the windage tray? When I did my 402 the pickup tube lined up fine. Can you post a pic if possible?

BTW - If you need some help let me know.

Gino
Old 03-04-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
I see you have been busy Youssif.

How much are you shimming the windage tray? When I did my 402 the pickup tube lined up fine. Can you post a pic if possible?

BTW - If you need some help let me know.

Gino
I shimmed the windage tray using the washer/spacers supplied from the shortblock builder. Do you remember what order you used to install the pick-up? Did you fully seat the pickup into the pump and then try to get the support over the main stud or did you stick the support over ther main and then try to stick the pickup into the pump?

Note: My oil pump is already torqued down. Should I remove the bolts bolts until everything else is installed?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Guys are installing the double rollers during h/c swaps (including myself). You probably want to set everything else up and then seat the p/u tube to the pump last. It'll be a little off due to shimming the oil pump out. But just lube up that o-ring really good and have some patients. I was worried about propper seating until I fired her up!
Old 03-05-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

Obviously proper seating is always a question, but in this case if I place the pick up support over the main stud and then try to place the tube into the pump, there is no way to fully seat it (even without the o-ring in there).

I guess I will have to wait until I can get a pic later this week.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Nevermind, I got it. I took the pump bolts out and removed the spacers, then placed the pick up tube support over the main loosely and started the nut there. I then put the tube into the pump and tighted that up. At this point the pump itself was pulled tight against the timing chain. I then pryed the pump away from the block and wedged the spacers in there. Then tightened up the oil pump, and finally tightened up the main bolt acting as the pickup support.

Then I f'd up the rear main cover trying to remove the old seal . Guess I am ordering a new one!
Old 03-05-2006, 10:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99whitews6
Nevermind, I got it. I took the pump bolts out and removed the spacers, then placed the pick up tube support over the main loosely and started the nut there. I then put the tube into the pump and tighted that up. At this point the pump itself was pulled tight against the timing chain. I then pryed the pump away from the block and wedged the spacers in there. Then tightened up the oil pump, and finally tightened up the main bolt acting as the pickup support.

Then I f'd up the rear main cover trying to remove the old seal . Guess I am ordering a new one!
Sounds like you got it. Just for clarification; do not use the oil pump bolt to seat or draw the pickup tube to the pump. You must seat the pickup tube first by hand (press it into place), then tighten it up. Tip: to make sure the o-ring is seated correctly, remove the oil pump cover and the two gears inside with the pump body in bolted to the block. That will give a clear look to make sure it's sealed.