Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F13 & Bad Lifters

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 01:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what its worth.. Ive personally driven HALLZs car and that cam has me REALLY impressed. LOTS of power...

People.. if you were, or are, considering a Futral cam... like HALLZ said.. still get one just make sure they have addressed this issue. From the sounds of it it may not even exist anymore.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Get the f13. I believe I got a bad batch also. I think the problem is solved....
Old 03-08-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Dont **** on futral. Anyone looking at the f13 cam - just get it. Its a great cam. Something was wrong with a small batch of futral cams from last year, thats all. There are probably thousands of f-13s running around out there. There are only a handful of us who have had this lifter issue. Please done let a few bad cams ruin the fun for the rest...

Agreed, I love my F13 cam. Power, drivability is great. It just seems we got a bad batch, and unfortunately during a group purchase. I guess thats what happens once in a while.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Has it just been FM13 cams? I'm running the FM14, and I'm hoping only the FM13 cam's were the ones that were grinded badly.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

FWIW I got an email back from Cam Motion.. turns out my cam, ground out of a specific core# I provided off my cam sheet, was not affected by any material issues. Although I didnt get a date of when my cam was ground, I did ask for a date so I could report back here, but Im pretty sure my cam was ground in the Nov 2004 - Jan 2005 time frame.

They said they had no issues with cams being ground from that core#.

Hope this helps for people that bought early grinds from Cam Motion direct or companies they support.

ALTHOUGH.. I will be checking my cam/lifters when I reach 10-15K on this cam, currently at about 2K, it might be years before I hit 10K... just to cover my ***.

*edit*

I just talked to Carolynn @ Cam Motion and shes going to find a more specific grind date for me. It sounded like they were already working on narrowing down what time frame they had a bad batch. Sounds to me like there is/was a bad batch and they are doing what they can to sort it all out.

Kudos to Cam Motion for being honest and taking the steps to figure it out!
Old 03-08-2006, 02:10 PM
11 Second Club

As shown by Cam Motion, David from Futral just told me indeed there was NOT a bad batch, but an oiling issue.

Mike
Old 03-08-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

So what's with the oiling issue then? How do you prevent this?
Old 03-08-2006, 06:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kraest
As shown by Cam Motion, David from Futral just told me indeed there was NOT a bad batch, but an oiling issue.

Mike
What are you talking about? As shown by Cam Motion? If you are refering to my post then I regret to tell you I dont have a F13.. I wasnt in the F13 GP that happened months after I got my cam from Cam Motion. Im just trying to help designate a reference point of when a bad batch may have been run.

Now.. there seems to be some kind of research going on at Cam Motion.. because if they were certain there was NOT an issue they would have made that loud and clear when I had Carolynn from Cam Motion on the phone with me taking info from my cam card so she can possibly have an answer for me tomorrow morning.

If Cam Motion is willing to take a look at things and MAKE SURE there isnt an issue then it would only be smart for Futral to not make statements like "there was not any material issues."

You are talking to Futral.. who didnt make the cams... Im talking to the source of the cams production... who seem to be concerned enough to entertain people on the phone that something may be wrong. Do you see the problem? If not you are blind.

Stop cheerleading for Futral... lets just sit back and see how this pans out FROM CAM MOTIONS side of things, you know, the people that made the cams... not the ones that packaged them up in a new box with a diff cam card for a GP.

***I am in no way slamming Futral.. all Im saying is if Cam Motion is on board with looking into it.. Futral needs to comunicate with Cam Motion and do the same.***
Old 03-08-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is starting to get interesting,futral told me the same thing about the oiling issue.im not sure anyone knows whats going on personally.And it will be interesting to see what really happens,until then im not going to believe much of anything.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to clear a few things up. Yes there was a "bad batch" of cams from the core supplier to Cam Motion. Cam Motion and I can not see or know of the problems before hand,just take care of the problems and resolve them. The given core company also supllies the LS1 cores to Comp. We are working on the batch codes and are taking care of the cams that have issues(replacing with new cams) I have worked together with Cam Motion to come up with our own cores manufactured by Cam Motion. They will be made from 8620 material(same material used by winston cup and Pro-stock)ground on their CNC cam grinder and completely polished. These new cores will be used starting in 2 weeks. Any body that has a current cam that they have concerns with and not installed can send it back and we will have it polished.

Now the oil issues,there seems to be a lifter\bore oil issue that we believe brings out the issues in the cam core material and only effecting a few lobes. Yes the cam shouldn't have an issue anyway! But the Morel lifters are helping the oil starvation issues.

Yes we don't make the cams but Iam taking care of repalcing the effected cams purchased from us.

Hope this helps everybody out.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

Awesome... thanks for replying.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks futral for the response,im sure a lot of questions were just answered.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

do you guys at futral know whats different about the new materials your gonna use and the other materials.My cam is on the way back to you guys right now to get polished,and if i could have it switched with one of the new materials then that would be awsome,i will even throw in some $$ if i could.Let me know if thats a possibility.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Futral, thanks for the response. It definitely helps clear up several issues.

Now for an important question for me, and I am sure quite a few other guys.

What if you have a cam in the date range of the failed ones, but at this point have not experienced a complete failure?

Personally, I would rather pull my current cam and replace then WAIT until it does go bad. In my opinion if you guys would replace these cams free of charge I think that would make most of the guys happy.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

yes if we can get a date range that would be great for everyone. this oiling issue has me kind of curious as well, i assume with a good pump and pressure taht there should be no oiling issue?
Old 03-08-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm waiting on the core numbers that were effected.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:55 AM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Has this only been a problem with F13's? I have an F11 I installed in January 2006, and I'm wondering if it could also be affected.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:30 AM
11 Second Club

CBX... I bought a F11 from them in December 05. It arrived with pitting on the journals.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Avengeance
Stop cheerleading for Futral...
1.......2............3.......4........... My car is faster than yours!
Rah Rah Rah! Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Futral!
Old 03-09-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

guys please only post up issues or information so we can keep this thread on track.