Sponsored by:

How To Eliminate EGR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Ice
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Eliminate EGR?

I have a 98' SS and its pretty much stock except for Magnaflow catback and a K&N air filter. Eventually i want to rip the whole engine out and stroke & bore it but for now i would like to get rid of emission egr along with the skip shift.
I was looking into a Cold air package from SLP and the skip shift eliminator...
How do I get ride of the EGR the right way w/o the check engine light coming on ???
-Daniel
Old 03-09-2006, 03:16 AM
TECH Addict

Been a long time but basically you take out the egr equipment, install block-off plates in the manifolds, and delete the egr codes with pcm editing software. You can get rid of the skip shift with software rather than a SS eliminator. There is no way to remove egr without getting the codes. The only way is to delete them from the pcm. You may want to remove the AIR system too. Same thing with the codes. If you need more detailed help, let us know.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Predator
Been a long time but basically you take out the egr equipment, install block-off plates in the manifolds, and delete the egr codes with pcm editing software. You can get rid of the skip shift with software rather than a SS eliminator. There is no way to remove egr without getting the codes. The only way is to delete them from the pcm. You may want to remove the AIR system too. Same thing with the codes. If you need more detailed help, let us know.
I am interesting in removing them also. That's all clutter under the hood. Remove the AIR system also? I was going to remove the EGR stuff for sure.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Ice
Teching In

Default software...AIR??

Thanx for the reply, but where would be able to get the "pcm software u talk about from?
Also what exactly is the "AIR" system u talk about? does it go along with the EGR?
Old 03-09-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Ahh, I just found the information on the AIR removal.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice
Thanx for the reply, but where would be able to get the "pcm software u talk about from?
Also what exactly is the "AIR" system u talk about? does it go along with the EGR?
http://www.hptuners.com/
and
http://www.hptuners.com/

Those a good ones.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

just find a shop that works on LS1 engines and they are bound to have the software to delete the codes, you can run the car with the codes and it wont hurt it but just the fact the SES light is on bothered the hell outta me so i got a tune and all that stuff deleted. only cost me 100 bucks for the tune, but i got a great shop to go to.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to get by cheap, just live with the EGR DTC (it won't turn on the check engine light) and cut the wires going to the skip shift connector and solder a 2.2 K ohm resistor across them.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

heres the 1 I used http://www.ls1camaro.net/sections.ph...ticle&artid=70
Old 03-09-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

Just wondering..why do you guys think its necessary to remove the EGR?? I can see cutting the EGR pipe that runs into the intake manifold as this is an intake restriction, but why remove the entire system?? The EGR doesent operate when your at WOT, so its' not like your gonna see a performance gain at the track or anything...idk..i must be missing something....
Old 03-09-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

clean up the engine bay
Old 03-10-2006, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z28LS1camaroguy
clean up the engine bay
I agree, it's not needed and just makes clutter.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jake the SSnake

awesome, thanks a lot man, ill be doing this this weekend.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Travis99LS1
Just wondering..why do you guys think its necessary to remove the EGR?? I can see cutting the EGR pipe that runs into the intake manifold as this is an intake restriction, but why remove the entire system?? The EGR doesent operate when your at WOT, so its' not like your gonna see a performance gain at the track or anything...idk..i must be missing something....
you don't work on your car much, do you?

it will clean up the engine bay A LOT, that **** will be in your way with your intake swap, headers, tb...any work you do.

also it is dead weight..
Old 03-21-2006, 02:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Travis99LS1
Cleans the engine bay, removes dead weight, & not to mention most performance intake setups are made without EGR provisions, since even GM did away with it on our car after I believe 00'. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on the year they stopped equiping them.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

sounds about right on the year model. and as far as the skip shift eliminator dont bother buying the one from slp, just go to radio shack and buy a resistor and put it in the skip shift circuit...cost all of maybe $1