Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head and Cam advice for big cubes

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Head and Cam advice for big cubes

Hey guys I just bought a MTI superstroker block and the matching pistons and I was kinda looking for some advice on heads and cam. First of all, I will be about a year building this monster, and I just need to know what to look for along the way. I am going with a new rotating assembly but the h/c and anyting else I can get away with will be slightly used. I will be on the street about 95% of the time, 2-3 trips to the track a year and only drive it on weekends and when the weather is good. What size heads do I need to look for? 225, 240 or what? I don't want to go too big and lose port velocity but I don't want to starve it on the top end either. I want to shift at about 6500 and would like to make peak hp around 6200-6300. Is this feasible? I am a very well read person on this subject but I have very little actual experience, so when it is time to start spending MY money I don't want to regret any of my purchases, after I get everything together. because I won't be able to change them for a while.(wife) I know I can get some good advice here. I would really like to hear a few different opinions on the matter. Thanks alot for your help. Oh yeah, I will be around 425 ci with a 4.11 bore.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With those cubes I'd get the biggest runner volume I could afford. 225cc minimum. Port velocity isn't going to be a big issue with 425 cubes sucking in intake charge.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

That is what I was thinking as well. But I read an article in Hot Rod or something last year or so and they did a shootout between a sbc and a bbc. Both were 454 ci and all the other important factors were equal(cam profile, c.r., exhaust size etc.) The small block whipped the bb's *** 20 to 30 hp and tq. the only thing they could come up with was the heads on the bb had much larger runners and the velocity was lower. Then again both of these were running 10:1 and I will be around 11:1. I don't know am I trying to compare apples and oranges here? I Know the LS1 is completely different from a sbc but wouldn't some of the same rules apply? If I can find the article again I will try to post a link.
Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
With those cubes I'd get the biggest runner volume I could afford. 225cc minimum. Port velocity isn't going to be a big issue with 425 cubes sucking in intake charge.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:49 AM
TECH Addict

Bump..
Old 03-17-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Cam advice anyone???