Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Collapsed Lifter Maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Collapsed Lifter Maybe?

What are the symptoms of this? I have the cam in my sig, and i have the good dual valvesprings from comp, with new seals seats etc. anyway, there is an audible ticking in the valvetrain, even while cruising (i can hear the echo of it off of curbs etc...). The car runs fine as far as i know, but heres the show stopper, I FOUND A SMALL PIECE OF METAL ON MY OIL DRAIN PLUG!!!!

Im thinkin i might need to pull the engine over break and have some things fixed, maybe just change alot of stuff, as in overhaul it. the car has 104k.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

99Z,
I had the same problem 1 day after puchasing the bird. Turned into a 6 month fiasco to find out the roller ball on a lifter broke in two. wound up causing the needle bearings (maybe the small piece of metal on your oil plug) out of the rocker arm to exit their old home and find their way through the engine. It also collapsed same spring, demolished the lifter bore, and darn near spun a bearing.
DO NOT CONTINUE TO DRIVE YOUR CAR!!! get it torn down and find the problem.
The up side is that SRP in cincinnati has put together a new engine with a small cam and a few other toys for the Bird. Might be close to 400 at the rears now! Cost for a clown to slowly find the problem, $2,200.00 cost for Scott Racing and Performance to get good block honed, good crank reconditioned, custom cam (226/226 592 ), ported and polished throttle body and Mass Air, Free ram air, mild exhaust work, Cat replacements, ARP rod bolts, put it all together:$ 3,000.00 Having a mechanic or two who will treat you right ; PRICELESS
Old 03-17-2006, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

Hell, a crate LS1 would be close to that price i think. anyway, i found more metal today, and i think it is actually the spring seat that came apart. i will be tearing it down as soon as possible. i just dont have alot of time, or the money for that matter.