Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with a motor i just bought.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 08:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with a motor i just bought.

Ok to begin i don't have a whole lot of experience with ls1's so please excuse my ignorance. i need help identifying some misc. parts on the motor. It's a 6.0 truck motor im gonna be putting in my car. Ok first of all what is the plate called that is located under the intake manifold? it has two little rubber deals in it. And then under that there is a metal cover. What is that called? i think it has something to do with the valley cover or the pcv system? Anyways on the first plate that is under the intake shouldn't there be a knock sensor harness running through the two holes that are outlined with rubber? And some more questions. If im not mistaken, the cover that goes over the crankshaft and main caps is the windage tray? And where should the knock sensors bolt to on the block, it didn't come with any. And it didn't come with an oil pick up tube. I know one end of the tube bolts to the oil pump, where does the other end bolt to? And i need to get some new lifters but do i need to get 6.0 lifters or ls1 lifters. are they interchangable? And are there any sponsors that sell stock 6.0 heads? Im really sorry for all the questions but im just eager to learn. thanks
Old 03-16-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 5.3litre
Ok to begin i don't have a whole lot of experience with ls1's so please excuse my ignorance. i need help identifying some misc. parts on the motor. It's a 6.0 truck motor im gonna be putting in my car. Ok first of all what is the plate called that is located under the intake manifold? it has two little rubber deals in it. And then under that there is a metal cover. What is that called? i think it has something to do with the valley cover or the pcv system? Anyways on the first plate that is under the intake shouldn't there be a knock sensor harness running through the two holes that are outlined with rubber? And some more questions. If im not mistaken, the cover that goes over the crankshaft and main caps is the windage tray? And where should the knock sensors bolt to on the block, it didn't come with any. And it didn't come with an oil pick up tube. I know one end of the tube bolts to the oil pump, where does the other end bolt to? And i need to get some new lifters but do i need to get 6.0 lifters or ls1 lifters. are they interchangable? And are there any sponsors that sell stock 6.0 heads? Im really sorry for all the questions but im just eager to learn. thanks
The top of the engine is the valley cover. Yes there should be two wires, one from each hole that run out the backside. These are the knock sensors. The knock sensors fit in holes under this cover.

Oil pickup tube. Runs from the oilpump down along the windage tray, two of the nuts that hold the windage tray also bolt down the brackets for the pickup tube.

LS1, LQ4, LQ9, 5.7,5.3, 4.8, 6.0, ETC... lifters will work.

Pictures might help. I'm working on one now.

Old 03-17-2006, 02:51 PM
Launching!

ok cool thanks alot. there is just one more piece i can't figure out what it is. it looks like a windage tray but i can't remember where at on the motor it's supposed to go. i tore the motor down a long time ago. So what could this piece be?
Old 03-17-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's not the part (windage tray) in the first picture?
Old 03-17-2006, 11:31 PM
Launching!

no it's definantly not the windage tray but it looks very similar.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Launching!

nevermind i was confused it is just the windage tray. anyways i ordered a pick-up tube and it looks like yours except the end that bolts to the oil pump only has one opening to put a bolt through to bolt it down to the oil pump and my oil pump has places for two bolts. my oil pump is an ls6 pump. did i get the wrong pickup tube?
Old 03-19-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Nope, the pickup tube only uses one bolt into the pump. Weird I know.