Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making ticking noise.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making ticking noise.

My car is making a ticking noise, someone told me that it was probably piston slap but it sounds to me to be a valve or up in that area. It doesnt do it all the time it does it more than it doesnt do it though. It used to not be that bad but it has gotten that it does it all the time or like I said more so than it did. it hasnt gotten louder or anything like that just doing it alot more. Just worried about it and if their is anything I could do without breaking the motor down.Or do I need to start thing on that. Also was thinking about doing a cam job but it was gonna be further down the road. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

I have the same problem, its starting to became a problem. People always tell me my cars making a funny noise. But what can i tell them ya know. The car still runs fine.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Yea my runs strong going to take it to the track this weekend for the first time and see what she will turn out. but still conserned would like to get it stopped I'm runing 10w40 senthetic. Thought that might make a diffrence but nothing.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

bump.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I'm here to tell ya, I lived with a damn tick for three years and I finally fixed it with a new set of lifters. I had to replace them myself because the dealer said it was normal. That's not to say it will work for you, but you never know until you try. BTW, I replaced the stockers with Mellings I got from Futral. $165.00 for the set! Excellent!
Old 03-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

Check your spark plugs. Once my engine was ticking and it ended up being a loose spark plug. I thought it was the lifters going out too.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

It could also be a bent pushrod, in which case the solution would be pretty easy. Just pull of the coil packs, then take off the valve covers. Next you wanna take off the rockers and check each individual pushrod. If one is bent, replace it...obviously. If none are broken that it may be a valve as someone said. I would check your plus first though. Good luck!!