Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What cam do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What cam do i need?

Hey Guys I just joined this site a couple of weeks ago and it seems you guys know a lot about LS1's. I just bought a 2000 SS and it was bone stock. The only thing i have put on it is an SLP lid. I was wondering if anybody knew what the best cam for my car would be if i put it on with the limited amount of things i have done to my car. I am mainly going for performance and horsepower and i just need to know some good cams for it. Thank you guys very much
Old 03-21-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the site. You need to do some research first. Sticking a cam in a bone stock ls1 won't get you any where. What are your goals for this car (ie;strip,weekend warrior,daily drive)?? How many miles does it have?? Auto or M6?? To get the full potential out of a after market cam it needs to breathe. You Have a 00 so a ls6 intake or a fast setup is a start, Exhaust is needed :headers, Y pipe, cat back or duals. heres some reading materal.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/213148-jrp-s-faq-commonly-asked-questions.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/327734-cam-guide.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139142
Old 03-21-2006, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Cool Thanks, I want it to be a weekend warrior. It is an automatic with 31,000 miles on it. I am in the mist of getting Exhaust because my dads friend builds custom exhaust and i am also going to get ls6 intake as soon as i get some more money
Old 03-21-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Since you have a AUTO you'll want to look in to a stall one that will match your future cam choice. Also I asked about the miles because while swaping the cam it dosen't take long to get at the oil pump.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by conan
Since you have a AUTO you'll want to look in to a stall one that will match your future cam choice. Also I asked about the miles because while swaping the cam it dosen't take long to get at the oil pump.
Ok newbie question? what is he suppose to do with the oil pump? I have all but headers and y pipe..next mod.. 90k on mine bone stock , but its ran 8.60's in an 1/8 ,so i too are looking for raw *** whippin power

edit: M6 and weekend warrior

p.s. i heard 4:10 are fine for a m6 on fuel if i had to trip it True?
Old 03-24-2006, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by stockz
Ok newbie question? what is he suppose to do with the oil pump? I have all but headers and y pipe..next mod.. 90k on mine bone stock , but its ran 8.60's in an 1/8 ,so i too are looking for raw *** whippin power

edit: M6 and weekend warrior

p.s. i heard 4:10 are fine for a m6 on fuel if i had to trip it True?
For someone lik you with 90k on the clock when you do a cam swap or a H/C swap, it will take a extra 1/2 hour to 45min to put in a new oil pump. Just a good piece of insurance for about $100.