Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How difficult would it be to tear down to the heads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 06:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How difficult would it be to tear down to the heads?

Looks like I'll definitaly be needing new head gaskets. Not sure about heads, but I'm thinking I'll just replace them with something else anyways. But I'd like to know how difficult it is to tear down the motor to the headgaskets.

I don't care how much time is involved, but I want to know if this is something I could do myself or with the help of a friend.

I'm thinking stock head gaskets, 6.0 liter truck heads, and ARP head bolts.

BTW the most involved install I've ever done would be my brake pads and rotors
Old 03-23-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It not that bad of a job. Take your time and label thing if you dont think you can remember. A couple of hints You can take out the brass allen plugs in the sides of the block to drain the collant from the heads so you aren't filling the cylinders or bolt holes with water. I've also seen pic's of guys taking a shop vac and sucking the water out through the water pump holes. Get your self some arp head studs (help with the blower) If you have the money the 6.0L heads will help so you can run alittle more boost. Also when taking off the intake mainifold watch the vac line from the brake booster, It goes behind the oil pressure sending unit you can brake it while pulling the intake forard. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This will help too.
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=2
Old 03-23-2006, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

http://www.stealthram.com/vhpheadinstall.html some pics of when i did the head swap on the wife's car.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by maxf
Looks like I'll definitaly be needing new head gaskets. Not sure about heads, but I'm thinking I'll just replace them with something else anyways. But I'd like to know how difficult it is to tear down the motor to the headgaskets.

I don't care how much time is involved, but I want to know if this is something I could do myself or with the help of a friend.

I'm thinking stock head gaskets, 6.0 liter truck heads, and ARP head bolts.

BTW the most involved install I've ever done would be my brake pads and rotors
About 2 hours and "1999TransamWs6" (and me ) had them off in the driveway with just one hydraulic jack, and I have ARP head studs.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/472364-5-springs-broken-good-thing-they-were-double-springs.html