Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do after 166K

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What to do after 166K

Hey guys I have come to a crossroad in my car's life. She just rolled over 166k miles. She doesn't smoke doesnt burn tons of oil and still pulls hard. I know that it is about time to get the lifters, pushrods, oilpump, and springs done. The question is I don't really have time to drop the motor out nor do I have the tools. But how much should I worry about the bottom end. She has never been hit with N20 and probably never will but I find myself very worried about the bearings. Recently my oil pressure has been staying around 45 psi at 80 mph aprox 2.2rpm and I wonder if this is normal. I am using 10w-30 mobil 1 synth. Should I just replace the pump for peace of mind and then upgrade the rest like I plan. Or should I focus my money towards a shortblock?
Old 04-02-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

money for a short block, you are getting up there. Anything after 150k is just waiting for somthing to go wrong you just dont know. You could go another 50k with no problems but then again maybe not.

I would start saving money and hope it lasts till you have enough.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:12 PM
11 Second Club

For grins and giggles I would do a compression test before jumping into anything.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mvonada
For grins and giggles I would do a compression test before jumping into anything.
Right on. Do a compression and a leakdown test. Thatll tell you what condition the valves and rings are in. I would replace the oil pump while youre in there. If the compression results arent particularly good, you might really consider pulling the motor (you can rent a hoist and stand) and use a bead hone to break the glaze on your cyliner walls, re-ring the motor and replace bearings. You may want to rent a car if you dont have alternate means of transportation. Now woudl also be a great time to add some mods to make it worth your while, money permitting.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Regular

I think I will go ahead and do a leakdown test and compression test. How much do they usually cost. I would think if the rings where bad it would smoke or burn oil. Also Lamar walden hear in georgia quoted me 1500 bucks for a shortblock but i would have to pull it and bring it to them then put it back in and this is just a stock rebuild.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by *98Formula*
I think I will go ahead and do a leakdown test and compression test. How much do they usually cost. I would think if the rings where bad it would smoke or burn oil. Also Lamar walden hear in georgia quoted me 1500 bucks for a shortblock but i would have to pull it and bring it to them then put it back in and this is just a stock rebuild.
1500 isnt a bad price for a rebuild. And pulling the engine isnt as difficult as it seems. Im not positive about the leakdown test, but i believe its on the order of a hundred bucks.