Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine is knocking, rebuild options?

Old 04-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine is knocking, rebuild options?

98 Z28. 105K miles. Ported heads, cam, LS6 intake, Headers, etc....

Driving home from work last week my oil pressure dove to 20 and the engine immediatly began knocking before I could shut the car off. I shut the car off and pushed it home, luckily only 1 street away at the time. Something gave way in the shortblock that is for sure. starting with the oil pump.

I am going to start working on the car today and am trying to figure out what the best optionis going to be for this car. Until this point it had been very reliable as my daily driver. Only been to the track 2 times in 2 years and on the dyno a few more times than that getting it tuned.

I am doing all the work myself as far as pulling the motor, but I have no clue what route to take after it is out. I have been pricing things from rebuild kits to shortblocks and am not sure what to do. Need some advice from people who have been down this road.

Is it more beneficial to rebuild as stock or go ahead and get something like forged shortblock or a stroker rotating assembly? What is cost difference? I am looking at all options so please feel free to give any advice you may have.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:27 AM
11 Second Club

I am going to be selling my new forged shortblock once it is done at the machine shop. PM if you are interested.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:29 PM
Launching!

I am in the same boat and would like to know as well.
Doug

Search this Thread