Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Rocker Wipe Pattern Width

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Stock Rocker Wipe Pattern Width

I have been going back and forth on whether to install my Crane setup (fully adjustable) or the stock rockers. I did a wipe test tonight on my stock rockers and they appear to have a fairly wide wipe pattern. I can move it around on the valve stem with shims, but the width actually stays pretty big. Has anyone checked the wipe pattern with the stock rockers?

I don't have the heads on the car yet, but the block is ready and so are the heads. I am doing a simple mark test at valve closed and valve open and the marks indicate the rockers are wiping much wider than I can set up the adjustables.

How wide have people found their wipe pattern to be on the stock rockers?
Old 04-05-2006, 05:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

ttt for a new day
Old 01-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Vettenuts,

Did you ever get an answer on what the stock rocker pattern should look like?

Just curious as I'm trying to triple make sure mine is correct.

PewterC5-2000
Old 01-28-2007, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

well, I didnt do it on a stock setup, but while claying my engine, I decided to see what the stock pushrods did to my milled head, thinner gasket, comp cams (read should need diff. length pushrods) setup. and it looked good. I havent used my pushrod length checker yet, figured Id do that once the heads are bolted down. anyways, long story short, it looks like it had a good wipe pattern. it is a very wide pattern. covers Id say 80% of the valve tip. I can get pics for you mid. week, when I get back out to the garage and do the clay test again.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Quick answer, no. 80% is too much in my opinion with higher spring pressures. I also found the rockers wipe on the side of the valve stem. I went with the Cranes. I found the wipe pattern of the stockers unacceptable with higher lifts and higher spring rates. No one really looks at this, but I wonder how much valve guide wear people are getting with their aftermarket valve train and stock rockers.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:43 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Quick answer, no. 80% is too much in my opinion with higher spring pressures. I also found the rockers wipe on the side of the valve stem. I went with the Cranes. I found the wipe pattern of the stockers unacceptable with higher lifts and higher spring rates. No one really looks at this, but I wonder how much valve guide wear people are getting with their aftermarket valve train and stock rockers.
good point. i notice a fairly wide pattern with the crane rocker set up myself, i checked a 383 set up for a guy once, after i determined what proper pushrod length we needed, and it did not seem to show much of a wide wipe pattern,(mainly favoring intake side) with stock rockers. that's about all the info i got for you right now.

Quick Reply: Stock Rocker Wipe Pattern Width