Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MS3 vs T-Rex

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006 | 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just got a brand new TREX a couple days ago and the shipping sticker from Thunder racing to me was placed right over top the sticker from Competition Cams to thunder racing. sounds like they are working together to me....
Old 04-05-2006 | 10:53 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by moeZ28
i just got a brand new TREX a couple days ago and the shipping sticker from Thunder racing to me was placed right over top the sticker from Competition Cams to thunder racing. sounds like they are working together to me....
Yeah, it still is ground by comp but its just not a XER lobe... its really similar to a XER lobe though
Old 04-06-2006 | 01:47 AM
TECH Junkie

ms3 works for me
Old 04-06-2006 | 02:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've been wondering about this for a while too. I want something that sounds like a beast, but I have some concern on PTV clearance. I've got JE -2cc dish pistons and stock 98 heads milled down to a 62cc chamber, so I'm not sure how much room I have to go with. All I know for sure is the T-Rex and the MS3 both sound wicked and make great power, so I'm hoping that I can pull off one of these.
Old 04-06-2006 | 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, i am poor so i am going to be driving my car with home ported 5.3 heads, MS3, stock intake, stock stall, and stock 2.73's...soon will be a fuddle 3500-3800 stall, and some 3.42's...... then maybe a mail order tune... lol

i guess we shall see what its going to be like driveing it over 600 miles a week.....on the stock tune and ****.... god i just need a little more money!!

Charlie
Old 04-06-2006 | 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

Im have been driving the ms3 and tsp heads around for about a month now untuned with stock gearing in my m6. I do alot of city driving and this cam has not give me any driveability problems at all. The only prob it has is when you rev it up a bit and you push the clutch in and get on the brakes and just let the rpms drop, the car idles way down like its gonna die, but never has yet. And thats untuned. right now, Off idle the car acts like stock but when you get to about 2500, its really wakes up!

Last edited by vodas00ss; 04-06-2006 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-06-2006 | 02:23 PM
Launching!

I feel so many people are being misinformed about different cams. I have been telling people for a long time now that 230+ cams a just to big for 346ci you are over camming the motor period. There are plenty of people who have found what I said to be true and are getting great results by not over camming. I know this guy that is running 10.5@128MPH No turbo, No supercharger, No N2o, N/A in a ls1. His cam is 218/229 and the only reason his duration is a little long is because he is using Mac Mid length headers. I think those a good numbers for a baby cam. Because according to most people here if its not 230+ then its just a baby. Proof again it is in the combination. And if you think you have to get gears and run 7000 RPM to get good times or good HP then you need to do real home work. So far I have found one person who is doing what I have been telling LS1 owners all along. Read this if you are brave enough. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/481382-torque-coming-out-my-ears-cam-change.html I will repeat stop listening to everones hype. No offense to great companys like texas speed who selling great products. I am using them for example because everyone talks about MS3 like its the only cam on the market. I just wish they would truly sell a cam that really takes into accout that a ls1 is 346ci motor. If you have more displacement then you need a different cam period. If you ever heard bigger is not always better. That saying really applies to cams. For the people that have 230+ cams and are happy. Then great just relize that you are leaving plenty of potential on the table. Thank you for your time, drive hard, and good luck in future races.

Last edited by WS6RED2002TA; 04-06-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-06-2006 | 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

So why don't you buy a "baby" cam and prove us wrong with crazy numbers?
Old 04-06-2006 | 04:35 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
So why don't you buy a "baby" cam and prove us wrong with crazy numbers?
I'm kinda thinking the same thing LOL

I kinda know what he's saying... its not always necessary to throw a huge cam in a LS1 and I'm sure there are alot of overcammed cars out there but with any "baby" cam and heads setup, I'm sure if you swapped out their cams for larger/better grinds that they'd pick up power/ET most every time.

*As for that cam in Patrick's post... its by no mean small... look at the lift and LSA on it. To me, duration isn't the only thing that makes a cam "big" or "small"
Old 04-06-2006 | 05:13 PM
Launching!

Car is still under WARRANTY. Besides there are plenty of dyno comparison out there for you to see. Look at where peak HP is being made. Look at the flat TQ curves. Its already been done. People are putting up 400 to the wheels with stock cylinder heads on tr224. And still have all the low to mid range that you will have to try to make up with gears when you get your TREX. And to be honest tr224 cam is not one that I would use it just a great example you dont have to lose low to mid range TQ to get over 400 hp baby cam only. A great cam will try to take advantage in lift and not just in duration. Another good example is tr cheater package. The only thing holding the cam back is one the intake duration is a little low. And the lsa is spead so far out that why you see the low to mid range lost in the dyno graph. But thats also why you have a stock sounding idle. Tighten up the lsa, little more intake duration and that would be a great cam. But by doing the cam would no long have a cheater cam. I could type until my fingers start bleeding but some of you will never be hear me and thats fine. How many times do you hear people say shouda of got a bigger cam. Most of the time its because they got used to the HP and think they are missing some. Not true instead they get a bigger cam the one that loses low to mid range and then when it kicks in they think there on a rocket. When in reality the cam they had before did the exact same thing except it happen much earlier. So with there new big cam they get gears and now they can feel the pull all the way through. Smaller cam with gears equals monster. Do the research the info is out there.
Old 04-06-2006 | 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Ok I will thanks.
Old 04-07-2006 | 07:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GTA91
I'm kinda thinking the same thing LOL

I kinda know what he's saying... its not always necessary to throw a huge cam in a LS1 and I'm sure there are alot of overcammed cars out there but with any "baby" cam and heads setup, I'm sure if you swapped out their cams for larger/better grinds that they'd pick up power/ET most every time.

*As for that cam in Patrick's post... its by no mean small... look at the lift and LSA on it. To me, duration isn't the only thing that makes a cam "big" or "small"
You are correct. The point I try to get people to see is that lift is very important in a two valve motor. A good cam for our type of motor will take advantage of lift in stead of duration. As far as the lsa a 112 is a wide as I would go. A 110 lsa is a excellent, start so as you can see a 230+ duration would not be recommended. But as you can see by reading everyones post in the fourms to many people are looking a duration as there sole choice in choosing a cam. When the more important factor should be lift and lsa. Am I saying that choosing a cam by duration is a total failure, NO. What I am saying is it is far from optium.
Old 04-07-2006 | 09:19 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6RED2002TA
You are correct. The point I try to get people to see is that lift is very important in a two valve motor. A good cam for our type of motor will take advantage of lift in stead of duration. As far as the lsa a 112 is a wide as I would go. A 110 lsa is a excellent, start so as you can see a 230+ duration would not be recommended. But as you can see by reading everyones post in the fourms to many people are looking a duration as there sole choice in choosing a cam. When the more important factor should be lift and lsa. Am I saying that choosing a cam by duration is a total failure, NO. What I am saying is it is far from optium.
I completely agree Good info you've posted
Old 04-08-2006 | 05:00 AM
Teching In

I am interested in this too...

I know i just joined, but i have been reading on here for a while. After all these trex, ms3. etc threads my head hurts! these are a few specific questions i have that i was unable to find the answers too, sorry if i am repeating anything previously stated.

I want my ss to sound mean as hell, and have the ***** to back it up too! (just like every one else who is interested in these cams) Obviously the car will have ls6 intake, boltons, pace setters and duals, with 4:10's and suspension too.

I dont plan on spinning up tp or past 7k, so i guess i am ruling out the Trex for myself... what kind of low-mid power does the ms3 put out? especially compared to the Trex?

Do you have to rev these up this high all the time to feel any power gains, and is there any loss in lower rpm power compared to stock, or its is just a gain of upper rpm power?

Quick Reply: MS3 vs T-Rex