Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does oil get into the coolant.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 02:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

yes it will.I have the same problem right now except mine was coming from my powersteering cooler
Old 04-09-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EDS01SS
yes it will.I have the same problem right now except mine was coming from my powersteering cooler
Cool, thanks for all the info, I'll check it all tomorrow.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Veteran

It ain't over yet Got the sensor in, took it for its first ride since the heads were rebuilt, everything is great, running like a champ. Get home after a 20 minute ride and "squirt", a little crack in my radiator shooting a squirt-gun sized stream about 6 feet out in front of the car. Its right under the radiator cap.

Joy, joy. How hard are these to replace?
Old 04-09-2006, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Not very hard at all
Old 04-09-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Not very hard at all
Is it worth getting an aftermarket one for better cooling? Or maybe you know of at least better fans I can plug up to my harness?

Do you know how much a factory stock radiator will be from the dealer?

Old 04-09-2006, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

dont go to the dealer....you will pay huge money.Grab a phonebook and check out local places that sell radiators.You can usually get a good deal from the smaller shops.Im not sure about an aftermarket company that makes a stock replacement radiator for the 4th gen f-bodies but it doesnt hurt to look.As far as the fans go there is really no reason to change out the ones you have now.If your looking to cool the car down more you will need a 160 thermostat and you will need to have the fan temps retuned.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Veteran

dont go to the dealer....you will pay huge money.Grab a phonebook and check out local places that sell radiators.You can usually get a good deal from the smaller shops.Im not sure about an aftermarket company that makes a stock replacement radiator for the 4th gen f-bodies but it doesnt hurt to look.As far as the fans go there is really no reason to change out the ones you have now.If your looking to cool the car down more you will need a 160 thermostat and you will need to have the fan temps retuned.
Yeah, I just got some prices from the locals. $160 for aftermarket, to $287 for a GM one.

I don't know if you ever saw any of my threads about my "wierd" overheating, https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=overheating , problem when I turn my A/C on, so I just thought some kick-*** fans would help for when I use my A/C. If my A/C is left off, the engine runs cool as a cucumber always, no matter how hot it is outside or how hard I drive it. If I turn the A/C on and drive casually, it goes past the 210 mark like a windshield wiper blade and will keep going if I let it. It will do that in a matter of 4 minutes of turning it on. If it gets hot and I turn it off it will cool back down to normal in about 5 minutes. Something fishy is going on for sure. On the highway, it'll stay at an OK temp, but as soon I hit the city, BAM, overheats in 2 minutes.

Everything has been checked too. The only thing I'm hoping it was: I just put my newly rebuilt heads back on. The pistons were so crudded up with burnt oil that my piston valve reliefs were almost totally filled in. I was thinking this was causing my detonation after I turned my A/C on and the temp went up a little bit, then the detonation just killed it and made it keep getting hot. The pistons were cleaned and look like new and the valve seals are new so I won't be burning anymore oil.

Old 04-09-2006, 01:57 PM
11 Second Club

Ok i read most of that post but didnt see exactly what was replaced except for a a/c compressor.What else was changed in the system and was the system flushed? Sounds to me like ya have a clogged a/c condensor which is very possible if they didnt flush the system and the compressor came apart internally.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok i read most of that post but didnt see exactly what was replaced except for a a/c compressor.What else was changed in the system and was the system flushed? Sounds to me like ya have a clogged a/c condensor which is very possible if they didnt flush the system and the compressor came apart internally.
I was told that if the condensor is clogged the A/C wouldn't blow cold, and mine is ice cold. All they changed was the compressor, they said they don't need to change any other parts. I thought they did have to change a few others. But either way, this overheating prblem is exactly the same as with the old and the new compressor, identical symptoms.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

ok yeah you were told right...... you said its a new motor right? Im starting to wonder if something in the cooling system was put together wrong such as maybe the head gaskets were put on wrong maybe.I know that if the gaskets are upside down they can block the waterjacket holes.Maybe somebody had a brainfart while putting your motor together.If thats the case and its not tranny oil in your radiator that could also be your other problem with oil in the coolant.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Veteran

ok yeah you were told right...... you said its a new motor right? Im starting to wonder if something in the cooling system was put together wrong such as maybe the head gaskets were put on wrong maybe.I know that if the gaskets are upside down they can block the waterjacket holes.Maybe somebody had a brainfart while putting your motor together.If thats the case and its not tranny oil in your radiator that could also be your other problem with oil in the coolant.
The old gaskets were on correctly and they were perfect when we took them off. We just put new cometics on last week when we re-installed the heads. They're on right for sure.

This A/C problem happened with my first engine, than after it was rebuilt from top to bottom under warranty.

My friend is on his way over to take my radiator out for me. I took everything off I could and all I found was some grass inbetween the condensor and radiator. Strange thing aboutthis whole thing is: Its perfectly cool under any conditions with the A/C off.....overheats in a hurry when you turn it on.

I would think that clogs and parts not put together properly, or the messed up gaskets would overheat an engine all the time.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:30 PM
11 Second Club

hmmmmmmm ya got a point there to......running out of answers here without actually looking at the car myself
Old 04-09-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Veteran

hmmmmmmm ya got a point there to......running out of answers here without actually looking at the car myself
I'll come get youin the company Learjet. I'd honestly give someone $500 cash if they could just figure out whats causing it.

I'm looking at the condensor more while its still in the car and it looks like there may be alot of grass and weeds packed inbetween all the little crevises.

The radiator is packed with them.

Let me ask you this: Does a condensor get very hot while the A/C is on? If it does, than maybe all this debris is trapping the heat and/or not letting adequate air flow through for cooling.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

yes it will get pretty warm which is why the fans are needed and if there is a bunch of crap in the fins then that would be a good place to start
Old 04-09-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Veteran

yes it will get pretty warm which is why the fans are needed and if there is a bunch of crap in the fins then that would be a good place to start
My radiator has a crack in it. It's right under but on the other side of where the tranny line hooks up to it.

I found the same black sludgy goop coming out of the crack.

Can this be my problem with the oil/tranny fluid in my coolant?

How does it actually mix from a crack?

Old 04-09-2006, 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

it could be the same crack and it just now finally busted.There is nothing but a thin wall of metal seperating the tranny fluid from the coolant.and if i remember correctly the coolant tubes run through the tranny cooler.So yes that could be your whole problem.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

it could be the same crack and it just now finally busted.There is nothing but a thin wall of metal seperating the tranny fluid from the coolant.and if i remember correctly the coolant tubes run through the tranny cooler.So yes that could be your whole problem.
The rain just stopped here and I got a good look at the entire front surface of my condensor. IT'S PACKED with little rocks, grass, sticks and all kinds of little crap. My hose on the highest setting can't blow it out. There are parts of the surface that I can't see light through, maybe 1/3 of the surface.

How the heck do I clean it? Considering just buying a new one if I can't clean it.

I think I may have found the overheating problem when the A/C is on.

Can this cause me to overheat within 5 minutes of turning the A/C on?

Old 04-09-2006, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

yes it could....the a/c puts extra strain on the motor and if your not getting the proper amount of air through your cooling system then it will overheat.Thats definitly a good possibility of your problem.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:57 PM
TECH Veteran

yes it could....the a/c puts extra strain on the motor and if your not getting the proper amount of air through your cooling system then it will overheat.Thats definitly a good possibility of your problem.

It really sucks I can't blow all this **** out of my condensor with my ragular house hose. I need to take my condensor out I guess, put my friends condensor in, and than recharge the system.

Old 04-10-2006, 05:33 AM
11 Second Club

If that does fix your problem then when ya get a new condensor or figure out a way to clean that one out go to home depot or lowes and grab a roll of window screen and attach it to the front of the condensor.That will make your life alot easier next time.

Quick Reply: How does oil get into the coolant.....