Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did I do wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006 | 09:33 PM
Teching In

Default What did I do wrong?

I pulled my C5R 427 today due to a burning oil problem. After disassembly, I found 3 of the oil scrapper rings overlapped on themselves. Also found the lower oil rings on 2 pistons kind of bent down into the piston pin relief area (the area of the oil ring lands cut out for the piston pins). What went wrong?? Are there special instructions for the oil ring setup? I'm using Mahle pistons and rings. The pistons came with some oil ring support rails (if needed per Mahle), but I can't figure out where they would go. Are there any online instructions for the oil ring setup? Everywhere talks about the top and seconf compression rings and gloss over the oil rings.

Thanks,
Derrick
Old 04-09-2006 | 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like a install problem,What kind of ring compressor did you use. Ive seen that happen with the band type ring compressor, I use the custom tapered machined ring that you just set over the cylinder and just push the piston in.or it could be to much clearance between the cylinder wall and the pistons,Here the compressors i use the i got from Summit Racing sponsor>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://static.summitracing.com/globa...e-904155_m.jpg

Last edited by Randy WS6; 04-09-2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-10-2006 | 09:58 AM
Teching In

That's exactly the ring compressor I used. Also got mine from Summit. I'm really concerned that it has something to do with the oil support rails. The instructions from Mahle say "With short pin height locations, an oil support rail may be required. Install the support rail with the dimple facing down and positioned inside the opening above the pin. They sent these rails (look like another ring), but they don't fit in the oil rings groove with the scraper and oil rings installed.

Derrick
Old 04-10-2006 | 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

I had to use the rail support with my LS2 418cid. because the wrist pin was moved up into the oil ring and used the short wrist pin. If the ring support is removed from the piston were the wrist pin goes you MUST to use the (ring support ring) if you don't ,you will suck the scraper ring out of the piston. The ring that ROSS sent me is very thin and i had a hard time in stalling them to, expesaly the scraper rings.