Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

symptoms of a broken valve spring in dual spring setups

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default symptoms of a broken valve spring in dual spring setups

How do you know when one lets go? Will the broken valve spring become audible? I'm looking at dual spring setups and this question caught my mind.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Cool

The inner spring will not be nearly enough by itself to prevent valve float, the car will have a dead cylinder at parts of the powerband. You'll defintely know something is amiss. On that note, Ive never seen a good double actually break!
Old 04-15-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have autotap, you should be able to detect the misfires in the upper RPM ranges. Other than that... I've seen springs break around the top coil and just fall down and still have enough pressure to have no real misfires under normal driving... And then i've also seen outer springs break into 3-4 peices and lose all real pressure (just leaving the inner springs) and cause lots of misfires.

The only REAL way to fully detect a broken valve spring in a dual spring setup is to visually inspect.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Misfired, ran like ***, fowled plugs in 2 mins, backfired at idle, no power, would die when engaging the clutch......get my drift?

It also ticked a little, but not enough for me to go, oh thats a broken valve spring.

Note: The inside sring is not broken, if that makes any sense. Yes this is a GOOD spring.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the info. I was just wondering as, right now, I'm shopping for a dual spring kit as opposed to the single for an extra factor of safety. Zymosis, looks like your dual spring setup saved you a lot of internal damage, Yikes!. I'm deffinatly getting duals to go with my COMP XER287 cam. Thanks again
Old 04-17-2006, 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine had a miss at idle that got worse at higher rpms. didn't go to high and limped it home. sho nuff it was a broken double. just the outside spring broke.

Quick Reply: symptoms of a broken valve spring in dual spring setups