Sponsored by:

Turbo V6 3.8 project

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo V6 3.8 project

Sorry didn't know where else to post this

Next project, I want a 99-2001 Camaro/Firebird V6 model and build a killer sleeper car. I have a couple of nice LS based V8's so wanna try something else.

I really love the 89 Turbo trans am, but tbh riding in a 3rd gen is like going back 100 years in build quality etc... Same with GN, but damm I love the turbo spool, sound and everything else about those cars.

So my thought is this. Pickup a nice little V6 Fbody, fab up a turbo system myself. I'm getting HP tuners, the pro version for my 2 cars in sig, so will be able to tune this one when ready.

I do have a few questions though for those who might be able to answer.

I want to know if the 460LE tranny(i'd want an auto) is the same between the LS motors and the V6's, ie will a 2000 LS-1 built 460LE I might buy say used on forums would fit the V6 after I'm sure to implode the stock tranny, or maybe just biuld the stock one I dunno.

Also, the stock V6 will probably be short lived with boost, will actually be kinda fun nuking it. Was thinking of getting used longblock out of a GTP GP years 99-2001 which should offer good protection under boost. Putting a cam in it, and dumping it in the build car. However, not sure bellhousing pattern would be the same or not??? Anyone know?

Any other thoughts to this?
Sounds like fun to me
20PSI Turbo V6
Old 04-15-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Stock 3800 is 9.5 cr. With reasonable boost, I don't think you will nuke it. But you aren't gonna run 23 psi and have it live (a la GN 3800) without alky or IC. GL, they make great hp.

BTW, there's an article in GMHTP about an El Camino "GN" you might want to check out. Last couple of months...
Old 04-16-2006, 01:58 AM
On The Tree

oh yeah
I'm thinking maybe 8lbs on stock v6
then when build a nice pull motor from GTP maybe 20psi
woot!
Old 04-16-2006, 02:09 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iirc I think it was the rods in the gtp motor that started to give out under higher HP/boost. you may have to do other things like tap the block for an oil return. the 2 engines are worlds apart (LC2 vs series 2 3800).

honestly if I was going to build a turbo 3.8 for an f-body, I would look into TA performance's aluminum block (2000hp capable) and aluminum heads, then stuff a good forged crank/rods/pistons inside, bolt up the rest of the longblock, and never worry about grenading the motor again.

Unless you're doing this as a budget, or experiment project, then I'm sure a lot of people would be very interested in what you find out!

Good luck either way! sounds like a fun car already.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

yeah kinda just a budget turbo project I wanna try
bang for teh $ appeals to me
at this point the GTP motor would be an upgrade over stock 3.8, just still don't know if the bellhousing bolt patterns would be the same
thx
Old 04-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked into it again because of my own curiosity. The weak point in the GTP motor is the pistons. They're Hyperutectic. High silicone content. They aren't high pressure friendly, and you can't really detonate them. Besides that, the stock block, rods, and crank are stronger than the LC2's, even though the rods are shorter. If you were able to drop some forged pistons into the GTP motor, you'd have a pretty nice platform to go off of. (I'm betting they used the Hypers because they grow less than forged, and are typically quieter. Plus they are fine for stock boost and programming.)