Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 03:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head questions...

1.) What is the purpose of all the 5.3 heads for these cars? Why aren't there more LS1/LS6 heads being ported? I'm new to the LS1 game , so I just dont know. That's the reason for the question.

2.) I am thinking about just going with LS6 heads and cam. Stock stuff to keep cost down I suppose and the fact that it is a good way to make power. Would it be better to go this route or get something else like either the Patriot LS6 heads or the PRC LS6 heads from TSP? I'm looking to go Turbo with this setup so i'd like to have a nice H/C setup before the turbo goes in.

Summit sells this "kit"...

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

and

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Those are both listed as LS6 heads etc, but only one shows the yellow valvesprings that should be on the heads. Also, if you look at the head specs between them, they are different?

I'm thinking that is might actually be better in the long run to get parts from some other place and just putting a package like that together myself.

Any suggestions?

Jon
Old 04-19-2006, 04:04 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

5.3 heads raise compression. With a camswap, you don't have to worry with Piston to Valve clearance on a bigger cam, because you don't have to mill the heads for extra compression (larger cams like more compression).

The LS6 heads from PRC and Patriot are great deals. I'd look into those, because they don't cost much more than stock GM LS6 heads but perform better.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Gotcha, I think the 5.3 heads are out for me then. I don't need any extra compression. I was thinking that it might be why they were so popular and price I guess. Now I just need to figure out which LS6 head to buy and get a cam that likes boost! I figured that the stock LS6 cam would be pretty nice for driveability and easy to work with.

I dont want anything radical with this car yet, i'm just looking to have a nice base for my FI future. Driveability is a concern too which is another reason for the "stock" type stuff.

What about long tubes? I was just gonna get something cheap that I can turn around and sell after the turbo goes on. I don't really mind the extra work, (but i'm sure my friends do). I'm thinking that if I didn't get them then I would be leaving plenty of power on the table before going FI.

I'm trying to get EVERYTHING taken care of (minus a new motor) BEFORE the turbo goes on. I just want to get the most out of the NA combination beforehand.

Jon
Old 04-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Would this be better posted in the FI forum?

Jon