Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

input on cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 09:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default input on cam

im looking at a cam to put in my 2000 rscb silverado. current mods are 4.10 gears, tb stall, wait 4 me tune, 918 springs, vinci 062 cam, heads milled .030. im still running a stock 5.3 other than the heads and cam. the cam im looking at is a comp cam 232/232 .574 .574 on a 114 lsa. need input as to whether or not you think the cam will work in my truck. its a everyday driver, but i already have to run hi-test gas
Old 04-21-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the fellas might need more info before they can give a solid recommendation. Is this strictly a "sport" truck or will you be plowing snow or hauling heavy loads also? And what other mods are planned? Headers, for example?
Old 04-21-2006, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

plan on a set of long tubes in the future. the most hauling done is pulling a small trailer with a 4 wheeler. maybe a 3000 stall shortly after cam. i already have a small cam, but i dont like the idle and havent really noticed any power gains with it.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not a heavy load by my estimation, but I'm pretty sure that the truck is a bit heavier than the average fbody or Vette.

You might want to install the headers first. There's a good chance, depending on what cam you already have, that the LT's will really wake things up. Also, if you already haven't, a little tuning might help with your idle issues.

Beyond that idea, before making your cam choice you'll want to factor in your future plans for cylinder heads. The resulting static compression ratio (SCR) as well as dynamic compression ratio (DCR) is a product of you H/C combo. It's an important factor to consider. If you make the wrong choice you could end up with a setup that requires race fuel in order to avoid pinging, or a setup that is far from maximized with respect to performance and drivability.

So what kind of heads will you be running and what would the resulting SCR be?

BTW, have you checked out the truck section? There's some smart guys with hotrod trucks over there that could prolly offer some good insight.