Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

switch to solid roller?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default switch to solid roller?

How much extra to go to a solid roller motor over hyd? I like the idea of having better control of the valvetrain if the cost is not to high. Would I really need it if I don't plan on spinning the motor over 7K? What kind of power gains if any could I realize? Still in the planning stages of my build so I am trying to get details ironed out.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

How much extra to go to a solid roller motor over hyd? Depends on the grind. Solid lifters allow for much more aggressive lobes and higher valve spring pressures. If you don't use those, by themselves they don't do anything. However, under 7200 or so, the higher spring pressures would remove the need for Ti valves with LS7 heads.

I like the idea of having better control of the valvetrain if the cost is not to high. Would I really need it if I don't plan on spinning the motor over 7K? Need? Not need. If you run a more aggressive cam, yes.

What kind of power gains if any could I realize? Modest below 7k. Still in the planning stages of my build so I am trying to get details ironed out

Solid rollers have an issue with pounding on the needle bearings. The only real street solution are the Schubeck Roller-Xs, about $920/set. To take full advantage, you probably want shaft rockers also.

So, you probably want to take a serious look at the cost of your build and its application. The solid roller is probably going to add $1k-2.5k to your costs. If you stay hydraulic, Comp has LSK and XER lobes that are very aggressive.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks David, that pretty much answered my questions dead on. I have been reading alot on the LSK lobes from the post's by Patrick G. Very interesting. I am planning on running about 11.5-11.8 scr, would these lobes help me get my DCR where I need it to run on pump gas, or is the lobe completely unrelated?