Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zero oil pressure @ idle????????

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 12:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you got your problem figured out! I how ever have not, ive been doing searches and I came across this. interesting. I have a bran new engine and I get good oil pressure when the car is cold, but as soon as it warms up. it starts to idle at 16 psi and when i get on it, will not go above 40 psi. I think we have tried almost everything. another new oil pump, new oil pump ring. a new cover plate/gasket that goes infront of the cam, new oil pressure sending unit. raised the oil pick up that sits in the oil pan (had to use spacers for the windage tray cause its a stroker). all other gaskets are bran new. I know this new motor came with a Oil gally plug, but could my low oil pressure be because the plug is not installed correctly or out of spec???

The installation procudure says the plug properly installed will protrude .8-1.4mm or .0315-.055in.

Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thank you
Old 05-16-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

did you put a mechanical guage on the car to check if you did indeed have ample oil pressure?
Old 05-16-2006, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 92zcamaroperson
What is a plunger?
the rear oil galley plug

which goes here.

goes in like this

then there's a front 15.68mm plug that goes in the front side of the oil galley.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

anybody happen to know the part number for the one that goes in the front of the block?
Old 11-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by garrettpen
anybody happen to know the part number for the one that goes in the front of the block?
I second this ?
Old 11-07-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by _HAVOC_
Glad to hear you got your problem figured out! I how ever have not, ive been doing searches and I came across this. interesting. I have a bran new engine and I get good oil pressure when the car is cold, but as soon as it warms up. it starts to idle at 16 psi and when i get on it, will not go above 40 psi. I think we have tried almost everything. another new oil pump, new oil pump ring. a new cover plate/gasket that goes infront of the cam, new oil pressure sending unit. raised the oil pick up that sits in the oil pan (had to use spacers for the windage tray cause its a stroker). all other gaskets are bran new. I know this new motor came with a Oil gally plug, but could my low oil pressure be because the plug is not installed correctly or out of spec???

The installation procudure says the plug properly installed will protrude .8-1.4mm or .0315-.055in.

Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thank you
Try putting a mechanical gauge on it. Maybe the oil pressure sensor is goofy. If the oil pressure is truely that low on a new motor that isn't built for max effort I'd be kinda worried. Granted about 10 psi per RPM's is considered acceptable but still. If your plug were outta spec it would be hemoraging oil all through your rear main area. I'm sure you would notice this because your oil pressure would be really low.

Quick Reply: Zero oil pressure @ idle????????