Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you know if you have valve float? / Possible Issues

Old 05-03-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you know if you have valve float? / Possible Issues

Experiencing a lack of power in the car, wondering if it might be valve float or something related to the valve train? I'll get back fires, occassionally, at start up, but recently the car just feels sluggish. Any ideas? Also when I rev the car, it doesn't have quite the same roar.

FYI:

02 C5 CPE
MTI Stage IIe
LPE 228 cam
Dynatech headers
Vararam
HF Cats
Borla Quads
3200 stall
3.42s
Old 05-03-2006, 02:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Valve float is most easily diagnosed from a dyno graph. Usually, the power curve will peak early then begin to drop rapidly. The drop is usually very wavy and unorganized, not a smooth curve. Valve float will not occur much under 5000rpm, so any problems under that or at idle are not due to valve float. There could be thousands of thing wrong with your car from the symptoms you gave.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Valve float is most easily diagnosed from a dyno graph. Usually, the power curve will peak early then begin to drop rapidly. The drop is usually very wavy and unorganized, not a smooth curve. Valve float will not occur much under 5000rpm, so any problems under that or at idle are not due to valve float. There could be thousands of thing wrong with your car from the symptoms you gave.
After all the info I've gather, I'm thinking it might be a faulty wire, plug, or I've got coolant seeping into the cylinder. How bad would coolant in the cylinder be?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you know if you have valve float? / Possible Issues