Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what do you do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 03:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you do?

what kind of break in do you do on a new engine? what kind of oil do you run? im just wondering because ive seen three different break in methods that all claim to be the best for whatever reasonm also if im forgetting anything or if this is in the wrong forum sorry in advance, thanks for the input guys
Old 05-04-2006, 03:46 AM
TECH Resident

Well, some say to ease it, others say to stick it in a higher gear to put a load on it and climb the engine to a rpm range, do that a few times, put it in the next higher gear, repeat...

Its really up to personal preference, in the "old days" it was important to "run" the rings to get them to seat right because they werent as accurately made as ones today.

About oil... Ive never seen anyone break an engine in with Synthetic.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just do normal driving for 3000 miles on regular oil.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

first few times out, < 50% throttle. (Rev it up to rev limiter, coast down and engine brake. Do this many times.) Vary speeds, vary RPMS. No harsh throttle changes. Completely heat cycle the engine, meaning get it hot when out driving, and then let it cool all the way down overnight before driving again. Do this whole cycle a few times. After this is done, change the oil to full synthetic, and drive it like you stole it for as long as you have your car. I did this in about 200 miles on my GTO.

I have followed this method for many years on new cars and motorcycles, and have never had an engine failure.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

i gunned it ( formula) soon after i got the car.

i also own a 91 camaro rs that i also went wot the first day and nothing was every wrong with the motor.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

What Steel Chicken is saying sounds pretty similar to what we do with our Karting motors (each which cost more than most peoples high performance motors on here, and the rebuilds done ever 10 hours [or less] cost a one to two grand easily).

This is also done on dirtbikes and most two stroke engines... example: take the engine up to 5k rpm for 15 minutes around the track (varying is a result of turns), do not exceed 5k... Let engine cool to touch, repeat at 10k rpm for 15 minutes, cool to touch and then repeat at 15k rpm...

And letting the engine brake (not break) itself is important if going by that break-in procedure... (We were doing 100mph in a Cobra during a breakin, through rush hour traffic... friend had to blow a few redlights)