Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal Shavings on Cam Position Switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Metal Shavings on Cam Position Switch

Here is the short story. I burnt an exhaust valve while running at the Texas Mile. I I pulled the heads ,fixed the valve,and installed a new cam & springs.
Fired the engine back up, it started on the 2nd crank all is well. The tach stopped working and it blew a code 334 cam switch high. When i pulled the switch it was covered with fine soft metal shavings. The switch is a magnet, so it must be ferrous material. Has any one had a cam bearing spin in the block? Has any one else experienced this. Thanks John
Old 05-09-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not with ferrous metal. I was going to do a simple head/cam/intake job on my '02 WS6, when one of the speed shop guys helping me, noticed that the front cam bearing was wiped.

I had to take the engine off the engine cradle (I have a lift in my shop, so we dropped the engine out the bottom), put it on an engine stand, and disassemble the bottom end. That's when I discovered all 8 rod bearings, all 5 main bearings, and every crank journal was scored. All 5 cam bearings were wiped, too.

Turns out that after casting/machining, the block was never properly de-burred. There were aluminum burrs hanging all over every cast/machined surface & hole on the engine block. It took me two nights, at 6 to 8 hours/night, to hand de-burr the entire block. That's what forced me (kind of) to go the forged stroker route.

I'm not at all surprised to hear that you, too, are having metal shaving/particle contamination problems. Good luck.