Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam install questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006 | 09:45 PM
Temple, TX Resident

Default cam install questions

well i got my gm hot cam in the mail today .... yes i know it isnt a big cam blah blah but its what i want for now ..... i have a few questions before i install it on friday ...... it has yellow looking grease between some of the lobes ... do i need to clean that off .. also i noticed its got some debris on it and inside it ... how can i clean that off ..also it came with shims ... do i need to use them .....thanks
Old 05-10-2006 | 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used to run a hotcam. I did not use the supplied rocker seat shims, they should be the same as the shims under your current springs.

I would clean the cam inside and out, get all the debris off (metal shavings I'm guessing?) You can get some engine assembly lube from the auto parts store and lube the cam up, or I just cover it in oil then slide it in.

edit: I'd wipe it down with a towel, then blast it with brake cleaner to cut through any grease and grime.
Old 05-10-2006 | 10:01 PM
Temple, TX Resident

thanks for the help ........ sorry i have another question ..... how will it run with stock tune ....i have an m6
Old 05-11-2006 | 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should be okay for a while on your stock tune. I have it in an A4 and it stalled at every stop before the tune.