Sponsored by:

Oil in Head Intake Port

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in Head Intake Port

Hello:

I am working on a wrecked 2004 GTO. The car rammed into a truck trailer and was wedged under the trailer. The hood was caved in and smashed the throttle body and intake. The ‘repairable’ dealer replaced the throttle body and intake to make the engine look better. I took the intake off to clean out possible debris. I also took off the valve covers as the oil fill tube was broke and left that way; i.e., open to the weather for a long time. The intake portion of the head (the intake port closest to the oil fill area) had a small amount of oil in it. I soaked it up with a paper towel. Should I be concerned about the oil in the intake portion of the head? Any tips on things I should do prior to starting the LS1? It has set and not been started for at least a year. FYI: I obviously am a and am learning as I go.

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 05-10-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Youll never find an Ls1/6 that doesnt have a least a little oil in the intake. The only real design flaw of the Ls based engines is thier thrist for oil because of a poorly designed PCV system....
Old 05-11-2006, 05:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You might want to consider pulling the spark plugs, disconnecting the coil pack connectors and removing the fuel pump fuse and then spinning the motor with the starter motor to get the oil pressure up prior to starting. Also, you might want to remove the valve covers and put some good oil in an oil can. Squirt some on each rocker and down the pushrod hole to ensure startup lubrication.

Good luck.