Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious oil problem/blue smoke

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious oil problem/blue smoke

When I bought my car it had 26k/bone stock with about 1 quart per 2~2.5k miles consumtion. I know have 70k and about 1 quart per 300 miles. I have been using mobil 1 10w30. My consumtion increased over time but jumped the most after my gear swap to 3.73's. It is also smoking at wot(blue), heavily on deceleration from 70+, and puffs out a big cloud when taking off from a stop after deceling from 70. I installed a catch can with no result. Mods are full exhaust, lid, gears. I'm thinking rings, or maybe valve seals, but I need to figure this out before I yank the engine and drop in a 408. Any thoughts...
Old 05-12-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM says the ring float is most prominent in low load, high rpm situations - the 3.73s aggravate the situation by putting you higher in the rpms and lower on the load.

Smoke on decel is most often valve guide seals, so sounds like you have both going on. Keep the rpms lower, especially in low load situations and replace the guide seals and you may see good results, otherwise it's going to be time to freshen the engine.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to dredge this up, but what is ring float? I see smoke on decel on my car, and have witnessed it on at least three other LS1 as well. You really only notice it at the track when you enter a turn near the redline. As you decelerate from high RPM, the engine blows smoke.

I ask because my heads are brand new and I was very careful about sealing the rocker studs, so I don't think they have anything to do with the issue. The shortblock has less than 50K miles on it.

-ch

Quick Reply: Serious oil problem/blue smoke