Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

short stroke gen III

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default short stroke gen III

I just wanted to throw this idea out there and see if it is possible. Mod's feel free to move if in the wrong section.

I have been looking into running a gen III for the next engine in my vw bug (currently a 283 sbc) Right now I am just looking at all possiblities and trying to keep an open mind. My goals for the engine would hopefully be turbocharged, space permitting.

So, I was just wondering about the little old 4.8l truck motor. I was thinking you could bore it out to the 3.898" bore and run forged ls1 pistons. The questions is about the rods. with the shorter stroke I know the 4.8 rods are longer than the ls1 6.098", but I know the aftermarket makes 6.125" rods and probibly a whole bunch of other lengths. So is there some combination of aftermarket rods and forged pistions that would work with the short 4.8 crank?

I know everyone will just say start with a 5.3 (probibly what I will end up doing), or buy a short block done. And also some might say I should go for more cubes. Personal I don't think I need many cubes(spins the 295 tires on dry concrete with 2.75 rear gears right now) but I would just like to know If I could be done with off the shelf parts and little to no machine work?

Any input/ideas would be great!!
Old 05-20-2006, 06:01 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW: I have 6.2 eagle rods in my 347, but it is on the 6.0 crank. I am not sure tho, good question. TTT for ya!