Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear main seal install tool

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rear main seal install tool

Hey guys, I borrowed a main seal install tool from a local dealership so I can hopefully stop my oil leak. My question is should I loosen the bolts up on the rear cover a little so the install tool can center the cover on the crank? I did not use anything to center this cover when I did the motor swap which I think is causing my oil leak.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's the tool for centering the cover, then yes you need to loosen the bolts.

If it's just for expanding the seal to go over the crankshaft, then no.

I had a leaking seal, was sure it was the cover not being centered, but later found it was because the seal had folded over a little on the first attempt at installing, and left a crease in the seal when it went on successfully on the second attempt.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My question is this, can you get the rear seal out without taking the cover off?? Either way I had the bolts loose when I did my rear seal install when I was swapping motors. ONce the seal was on I torqured the bolts down.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joel_SS
My question is this, can you get the rear seal out without taking the cover off?? Either way I had the bolts loose when I did my rear seal install when I was swapping motors. ONce the seal was on I torqured the bolts down.
the only way ive successfully done the rear main seal is to take the cover off, swap seals on the bench. oil the seal and crank surface then carefully place the seal lip over the crank as much as you can.. then using something dull like a screwdriver, carefully work your way around the last part of the seal until its all over the crank properly.

if you support the weight of the cover, the rear seal basiclly centers itself.

i dont see how you can easily change the seal without removing the cover.

btw, i have no idea what the "official GM way" of doing it is... i just know from working on them.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did mine this weekend. Engine was out of the car, cover was still on. I used a wide bladed screwdriver and just kept going around to each of those 3 notches around the outside of the seal, and slowly worked it out.

That plastic ring that comes inside the seal, can be used to help stretch the seal over the crank. Just roll a few layers of masking tape around the ring, then put it back inside the seal.

You may have to experiment to find out how many layers you need to get it to go over the crank, but not so many that it's too tight to get the ring to go back inside the seal...
Old 06-07-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John_D.
That plastic ring that comes inside the seal, can be used to help stretch the seal over the crank. Just roll a few layers of masking tape around the ring, then put it back inside the seal.
That's what I did. It seemed easier than the screwdriver method to me. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...43#post4007543

When you put the cover back on the back of the engine, the seal will center itself on the crank and the oil pan will make sure it's not tilted.