Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine shaking on cammed cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Add some timing to the motor. 28* to 32* calms cams down considerably.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To a certain extent, it's just something we gotta live with with a cammed car I guess. The reason I decided to post about it was cause when I was driving around yesterday I nailed it through 2nd up till 6k rpm with the AC on and afterwards it ran really rough. I got home and saw that the engine was shaking much more than normal. I figured that something bad must have happened. So I let it sit for a few hours, started it and it didn't shake at all. I didn't get an SES light till a few minutes after I started it up the second time (prolly just the same misfires I was getting before). Maybe having the stock engine mounts are good to diagnose something that the computer doesn't pick up on right away.

Does anyone think of poly engine mounts as kind of a band aid and not a real fix per say?
Old 06-24-2006, 06:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Does anyone think of poly engine mounts as kind of a band aid and not a real fix per say?"

No
Old 06-24-2006, 07:23 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Like everyone has said, the factory motor mounts are crap. They could barely hold the motor in place when it was bone stock, much less when you start to increase the power by adding cams, heads, headers.

Some of the lessons I've learned is that the best time to do motor mounts is when you have the headers out, at that point, you are looking at 5 minutes of work to swap both.

Just to dispell the myth with poly motor mounts, NO, they won't make the car unpleasant to drive. Once they settle in, there is no difference in driveline feel. Since the motor isn't shaking anymore, you actually reduce the feel of the vibration since you no long have that 350lb of motor, and 120lb of transmission shaking the whole car.

To recap: DO IT, INSTALL POLY MOTOR MOUNTS AS ONE OF THE FIRST MODS YOU DO.

Quick Reply: Engine shaking on cammed cars