Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing chain dampner in the way?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the best pic I have. There is clearly no way to see the timing mark. The damper must be removed, but before you can remove it, the oil pump has to come off. It is possible there was more than one design? I have had tis argument before and I still say, I could not see the mark. Even if I could somehow see it with the timing cover off, there is no way I could have seen it with a 2 piece cover, none.

This is an LS2 Corvette.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Nick, I think my valley cover is hurting.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b727pic
this is the only view you have with the 2 piece. the damper is blocking the view of the crank gear.

I am going to drop this debate but it looks to me that with good light and due to the fact that the timing mark is on the front of the crank gear, you should be able to see it. Even if you can't and you get the cam gear mark straight down before removing the gear you should be able to change a cam "straight up" if you do not bump the motor.
Removing the steering rack and all on a C5 is a big deal making this more than a little worth it.
I'll bet MrEracer has his split covers on LS2s.

Last edited by See5; 07-24-2006 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Z06-Dave
Here is the best pic I have. There is clearly no way to see the timing mark. The damper must be removed, but before you can remove it, the oil pump has to come off. It is possible there was more than one design? I have had tis argument before and I still say, I could not see the mark. Even if I could somehow see it with the timing cover off, there is no way I could have seen it with a 2 piece cover, none.

This is an LS2 Corvette.

You should be able to see the dot in that photo....

You just have to get at the right angle...

After I found the dot I took a sharpie and drew a line out on the crank sprocket directly even with the dot. After you do this it is very easy to time it up
Old 07-24-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by See5
I am going to drop this debate but it looks to me that with good light and due to the fact that the timing mark is on the front of the crank gear, you should be able to see it. Even if you can't and you get the cam gear mark straight down before removing the gear you should be able to change a cam "straight up" if you do not bump the motor.
Removing the steering rack and all on a C5 is a big deal making this more than a little worth it.
I'll bet MrEracer has his split covers on LS2s.
My crummy pic makes it hard to see, but the gap between the back of the oil pump and the front of the damper makes it tough to see anything on the crank gear......

Would have liked to have kept the damper, but oh well......