Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crankshaft bolt loose!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crankshaft bolt loose!!

i found out today that my crankshaft pulley bolt is loose, i can turn with my just my hand. My engine also threw a code p0300 - engine misfire, which *i hope* is because of this. Can i just retighten the bolt with an offset box wrench and be good to go? or is it more complicated than that?
Old 07-09-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jerrypc
i found out today that my crankshaft pulley bolt is loose, i can turn with my just my hand. My engine also threw a code p0300 - engine misfire, which *i hope* is because of this. Can i just retighten the bolt with an offset box wrench and be good to go? or is it more complicated than that?
The factory bolt is not supposed to be re-used. I'd get a new bolt, check to make sure the pulley is still properly seated, and torque the new bolt to spec (as best you can.). I don't know what to do about the code, maybe it will go away once the pulley problem is corrected.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

yeah definitely get a new bolt with the new locktight on it, re torque and make sure the pulley is seated correctly
Old 07-09-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy yourself a ARP crank pulley bolt and TQ it to 240 ft lbs. Otherwise go get a new factory bolt from GM and TQ to spec.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:56 PM
Teching In

crap, thats what i thought. i dunno about camaro's and trans ams, but on vette's to get the bolt completely out i have to remove this rack and pinon steering bar which is probably a pain. if everyone says to get a new bolt i guess thats what needs to be done.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

crap, thats what i thought. i dunno about camaro's and trans ams, but on vette's to get the bolt completely out i have to remove this rack and pinon steering bar which is probably a pain. if everyone says to get a new bolt i guess thats what needs to be done.
The ARP bolt can be re-used, the stock should not. The factory bolt is torque to yield, meaning once it's stretched during the torque procedure it is no longer viable for re-installation, it could snap!

You may as well upgrade to a better balancer/underdrive pulley while you're down there, and if you do, don't forget to get the proper length belt. Good luck.

BTW, welcome to LS1tech.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have a cam or anything? Is this the stock bolt that just came loose? Has it ever come off before? That's weird if not.

Definitly get a new bolt, and if you have a vette, the steering rack will have to come out for sure, you're lucky the crank didnt walk off, that heppened to a freind of mine. And us lower class fbody owners don't have to remove anything, we can just lay down and change the bolt =p

And in my poinion and from what i've seen, the crank pully comming loose would not cause any problems with trouble codes, there's no sensors and the belt has nothing to do with the timing of the motor, so I'd say you have another problem.

It sounds to me like you caught it really early, like it had just happened. It doesn't sound like the crank pully walked at all or you'd have oil everywhere as the pulley being seated is what seals the oil from comming out the front of the motor.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Teching In

thanks for the welcome, ShevrolayZ28!

afaik, its the stock bolt...the stock pulley that is on there seems to be ok, maybe a very SLIGHT wobble when looking at it. There are no oil leaks anywhere, but the AC and serpentine belts did jump one groove over, which consequently got shredded off. now they are running on 3 grooves instead of 4.

i may have to torque this loose bolt up somewhat to drive it to a shop. i definately don't want the bolt to break though!

oh and no cam or any other mods either.

Last edited by jerrypc; 07-09-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

afaik, its the stock bolt...the stock pulley that is on there seems to be ok, maybe a very SLIGHT wobble when looking at it. There are no oil leaks anywhere, but the AC and serpentine belts did jump one groove over, which consequently got shredded off. now they are running on 3 grooves instead of 4.

no cam or any other mods either.
Replace the pulley and all associated belts IMO. If the old balancer has a wobble it may have been the cause for the bolt backing out. You don't want to do this twice! And an underive pulley might gain you a few ponies as well as do a better job at absorbing potentialy harmful harmonics.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:32 PM
Teching In

just for clarification..is there a harmonic balancer and a pulley on there? or just a pulley? or are they just synonyms for the same thing? anyone have a diagram by chance?
Old 07-09-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had the pulley fall off on my old car. Overheated really bad really fast due to no water pump and no fan. Get that fixed asap
Old 07-09-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

just for clarification..is there a harmonic balancer and a pulley on there? or just a pulley? or are they just synonyms for the same thing? anyone have a diagram by chance?
One part does both, act as a pulley and a crank harmonic balancer.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea I'm a dumbass and when I rebuilt my motor I reused my crank bolt not thinking and it has came loose and cause the balancer to fall off like 6 times I'm waiting on a new bolt to come in
Old 08-01-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

do you have an auto or manual trans? auto=pulling starter and holding the flexplate while you tighten the bolt. Manual= putting it in gear and tightening the bolt. on F bodys anyway.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If You do have a manual tranny , put it in 3rd or 4th ,,,,,, it will work better than 1st .
Old 08-02-2011, 05:20 AM
Staging Lane

arp bolts run about 40 bucks shipped..

stock bolt you need to get from the dealer, put loctite on it, torque to 37ft pounds then stretch the bolt by trying to turn it 140degrees. These are one use bolts.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:20 AM
11 Second Club

As for the code, I had an aftermarket pulley spin loose from hard launches and the knock sensors noticed it.

Quick Reply: crankshaft bolt loose!!