Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What cam do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What cam do I have?

Ok, this might be a rookie question, maybe not? I bought my car ('99 Trans Am) from a guy in another state who left for the military the day I picked it up, we had very little time to talk but he mentioned they had put a cam in it at some point. My question is, how do I figure out what sort of cam it is, i'm sure i'll have to pull the intake (maybe more?) Would it just be easier to swap a cam? (I don't even know if you can swap the cam without pulling the motor?) The car has a nice sound so I do think there's a cam in it, but then again I don't know anyone else with a ls1, and when you do a cam it's a good idea to reprogram, right? I doubt that was done. I know there's a lot of questions, but thanks in advance for the help!
Old 07-11-2006, 10:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bahlord
Ok, this might be a rookie question, maybe not? I bought my car ('99 Trans Am) from a guy in another state who left for the military the day I picked it up, we had very little time to talk but he mentioned they had put a cam in it at some point. My question is, how do I figure out what sort of cam it is, i'm sure i'll have to pull the intake (maybe more?) Would it just be easier to swap a cam? (I don't even know if you can swap the cam without pulling the motor?) The car has a nice sound so I do think there's a cam in it, but then again I don't know anyone else with a ls1, and when you do a cam it's a good idea to reprogram, right? I doubt that was done. I know there's a lot of questions, but thanks in advance for the help!
Many places have the capability of rolling the cam and getting specs for you...alot of times there are markings on the cam itself that you can track down. No need to pull the motor for a swap usually just the front assemblies and various other things. Tuning is a definate after a swap. I know other's will be able to give more details but hopefully this will give you some idea of what to think about.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Enjoy the extra power, enjoy the sound, enjoy the compliments, enjoy kicking Mustang butt, and enjoy waiting for him to get out of the service so you can ask him what cam is in it. Or, call his folks and find out if any of his non-enlisted friends would know what cam it is. There's really no logical reason that you must know what it is.