Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mike Norris?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was stationed in FL he built rebuilt the stroker in my Camaro and put nitrous on my C4. Both good experiances. The nitrous install ended up in a vette mag., which was kind of cool. It's been a few years now, but everyone at the shop was knowledgeable and friendly. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, Mike is the one and only one that does the tuning.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

When I was there, another guy at the shop said Mike does all the LS1 tuning. So I don't think you have to worry about who'll be doing the work.

Mike tuned my 402, and the shop did the finishing touches (filled oil, coolant, checked lifter preload and swapped pushrods, re-routed some wiring) after I had my car towed there following the engine swap I did in my garage. The timing was horrible for me, the engine was months late from FFHP, and I was about to move to Colorado. I ended up having a shipping company pick the car up from Norris directly because I dropped it off at Norris' shop late, and then more **** kept going wrong (clogged cats), and I was already in CO by the time Mike got back in town to finish the tune. None of that's Mike's fault, of course.

After the car made such low numbers on the initial tuning, I also had them install an X-Pipe with high flow cats, and bought a air-intake and mufflers from them that they installed, too. The bill was pretty hefty, which is to be expected considering all the crap I had them do.

IMO, if you are gonna spend a bunch of money, do it at one place. I bought the 402 from FFHP (who are now out of business), and they recommended patriot heads, and said I should get a big cam (the 238/244 I ended up with was on the small side of their recommendation).

Then I was rushed for time when I installed the engine myself, and Norris' shop had to finish the job, which wasn't cheap.

Then when Mike was doing the tuning, he said the cam was way too big, and I should have gotten AFR heads. Between higher compression and a smaller cam, I would have had more dynamic compression.

Anyway, I ended up spending a bunch of money at several places, and still came out with only 450rwhp, in a 402. If I had it to do over again, I would have just dropped the car off at one shop, and let them pick all the parts, and do all the work, and just handed over a wad of cash. It would have been a lot less headaches, and probably cheaper, too.

- Miles

PS: Hope it doesn't sound like I'm bashing Norris, cause I'm not. I'm just saying I was dumb for spending a shitload at 3 shops, and then spending a shitload more because I was rushed at the end. Now FFHP is out of business, Mike says my heads suck and cam is too big and I need a FAST90, Patriot says the heads are fine and I need a *bigger* cam and a FAST90 and the tune may be bad, etc, etc, etc.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:13 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Turo
Careful, you can get banned for mentioning that name around here...
True.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Another happy MN customer here!
Old 10-20-2006, 12:18 PM
12 Second Club

ive heard about 20 great things and 2 bad things from him, but from my personal experience, hes a good guy to work with and tunes pretty good. prices imo are a little steep but im told his work is top notch