Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure....

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 01:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

honestly theres alot of people on here who dont know a damn thing about what they say, and just go off of what others promote....ive ridden around in a car with the same oil pressure for 17k miles. ive dropped my pan, my caps, and finally my engine. because i partially listened to people talk about this 10 psi deal. during the assembly of my new engine with my mechanic friend, i actually got to meet a couple of new guys, one being a gm master tech down here....he laughed when i told him about the 10psi idea...like the mod said...some cars it could pass on...not on a ls1. i learned from experience, and my "new motor" in my sig is alot tighter motor then the old 99. i also just figured it was funny if the guy who started this thread really would believe what some of these guys are sayn, if so...itd be his motor
Old 08-01-2006, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by staringback05
honestly theres alot of people on here who dont know a damn thing about what they say, and just go off of what others promote....ive ridden around in a car with the same oil pressure for 17k miles. ive dropped my pan, my caps, and finally my engine. because i partially listened to people talk about this 10 psi deal. during the assembly of my new engine with my mechanic friend, i actually got to meet a couple of new guys, one being a gm master tech down here....he laughed when i told him about the 10psi idea...like the mod said...some cars it could pass on...not on a ls1. i learned from experience, and my "new motor" in my sig is alot tighter motor then the old 99. i also just figured it was funny if the guy who started this thread really would believe what some of these guys are sayn, if so...itd be his motor

K, Lets get a good discussion going.

What about an Ls1 makes it so different that it "requires" all that oil PSI at idle and WOT?
What your basically saying is my forged motor, is going to die because of the under 30 lbs at idle, and right under 40 at cruising LOL.

I highly doubt your spun bearing had anything to do with your oil pressure, if so then every car I've seen with less than par oil pressure would have a spun bearing.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:15 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LS1's are different. You are correct. Idling at 10psi is possibly a concern. You are correct. I don't know if you know the extent and the past history of Chevrolet motors though. Some major power big block motors sit with 8psi. That being said the 30-40-50 PSI that we see is a bunch. There are always people worried about lower than normal PSI. 10psi for every 1000k rpm is about accurate though. Think about what you are reading at redline? 6600-6800? You are deep into 60's.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:17 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by ineedashortblock
K, Lets get a good discussion going.

What about an Ls1 makes it so different that it "requires" all that oil PSI at idle and WOT?
For starters, the LS1 is a complete re-design of the sbc. Oil pump is on the opposite end of the motor.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
For starters, the LS1 is a complete re-design of the sbc. Oil pump is on the opposite end of the motor.

GM thinks ls1's don't need ****
Attached Thumbnails oil pressure....-oil-psi.jpg  
Old 08-01-2006, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

wow, do you even understand how an engine works? i suppose bearings just lube themselves?....and no your blocks not gonna split or take a dump because your oil psi is low....IT WILL die over time because of the wear....it takes several thousand miles for the lack of psi to have effect.....when you dont have enough lube things rub...hmm maybe thats how bearings spin?...look i dont care what you guys run your cars at, i honestly dont give a damn....but ive held the bottom end of my motor, and ive done a pump test...put 2 and 2 together along with someone whos paid to work specifically on these motors (the gm tech)...and you get real information, instead of hears say.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:22 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

There are just a metric ton of differences that we could sit here all night and just scrape the surface.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

exactly....i didnt expect to get jumped on, for trying to help someone....with past experience....look, honestly he could just drop his pan and see whats going on..i wish i had done it sooner....it would have saved me a month
Old 08-01-2006, 01:29 AM
On The Tree

exactly....i didnt expect to get jumped on, for trying to help someone....with past experience....look, honestly he could just drop his pan and see whats going on..i wish i had done it sooner....it would have saved me a month

Do honestly think with even 40-50 psi of pressure at 6k rpms... that isn't enough to keep a thin layer of oil in the clearance of the bearings to prevent metal on metal contact?
Old 08-01-2006, 01:30 AM
On The Tree

I will say it once, and say it again. You do not spin bearings from a lack of oil pressure with 20+ lbs at idle, 30+ lbs at cruising, and 50-60 lbs at WOT.

If you spun a bearing, It would have had to have been something else.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Oil pressure isnt that big of a deal anyways, volume is more important than anything. Just becuase a gauge shows what some to consider low PSI dosent mean that its not flowing enough oil. Youll read about people on here going to thicker oil to gain PSI, but all theyre really doing is decreasing volume.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

heat, expansion, lack of oil....theres not enough pressure in that range to keep the metal apart continously....sure its clearance, but with less pressure things will rub...this is partially what happened in my car....at higher rpms a thin layer can be broken and metal scrape or "polish" metal...im not talking about something hitting like crazy....it just takes a an "every once in a while" to start wearing out the bottom end....at wot my car is closer 80...higher oil pressure gives a denser lube range....for lack of a better phrase.....there are small exceptions....one being a different oil pump, a blue printed high volume pump wont stay at a stock ls1 pump range but its actually putting out more oil at a slower pace....so, but 40 psi at 6krpms would be a very bad idea
Old 08-01-2006, 01:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

I will say it once, and say it again. You do not spin bearings from a lack of oil pressure with 20+ lbs at idle, 30+ lbs at cruising, and 50-60 lbs at WOT.

If you spun a bearing, It would have had to have been something else.
im lost, did you break down my motor or did i? does gm pay you?.....you do spin bearings for lack of oil....big problem gm had with 98 99 00 pumps at first light....they tried to recall some because of failure...which would lead to internal problems...the failure rate was 10psi...which meant that was the lowest the ls1 would function at....thats not supposed to be where it runs
Old 08-01-2006, 01:43 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

look i dont care what you guys run your cars at, i honestly dont give a damn.....
According to your last couple of posts it appears you do.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
Oil pressure isnt that big of a deal anyways, volume is more important than anything. Just becuase a gauge shows what some to consider low PSI dosent mean that its not flowing enough oil. Youll read about people on here going to thicker oil to gain PSI, but all theyre really doing is decreasing volume.
thats kinda what i just said.....people believe that running a 40weight is gonna help issues...thats not exactly true....but depending on the pump, it will determine how much pressure is needed....gm had in mind the ls1 pump...not the ls2 and ls6
Old 08-01-2006, 01:46 AM
TECH Resident

FWIW, the people who built my motor (LME respected sponsor and LSx engine builder) told me 10 PSI per 1k rpms was just fine. I was concerned that my motor was idling @ 20-25 PSI Hot and that is what they told me. Cleances are in in .0025 range..
Old 08-01-2006, 01:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
According to your last couple of posts it appears you do.
not so much others cars, as not understanding how people refuse to believe that something could be one way....other then what theyve been told, and not what theyve seen...besides it 3 am...what else is there to do besides sleep
Old 08-01-2006, 01:48 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by Joel_SS
FWIW, the people who built my motor (LME respected sponsor and LSx engine builder) told me 10 PSI per 1k rpms was just fine. I was concerned that my motor was idling @ 20-25 PSI Hot and that is what they told me. Cleances are in in .0025 range..
That is also how that Baskett fabricated motor of mine is.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Joel_SS
thats cool, people are different i guess......the three guys that helped me with mine....chad lewis 15 years as a gm mechanic, and has built countless ls1s...another, i cant remember his first name, but his last is shakespeare from down near tampa somewhere....along with a guy who retired from gm also down in tampa.....might work for tampa speed and converter.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:44 AM
12 Second Club

GM thinks ls1's don't need ****

thank you, i rebuilt my motor 2 years ago, and put a ported oil pump, my hot oil psi at idle is between 15 -20 crusing 25-35 and wide open throttle 40-55, with plenty of dragstrip runs, for 2 years haven't had one problem yet.