Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overheating..radiator hoses cold

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default overheating..radiator hoses cold

Just got done with my TT427.I have put 50 miles on the new motor. Suddenly the engine started overheating. I have noticed the upper and lower radiator hoses are cold when the temp gauge is reading 240. I am running Evans water pump and NPG coolant. I called them they told me to remove the thermostst and block the bypass which I did...still overheats. (please no comments like the coolant flows too much with the thermostat out..thanks).

I have evans pump / be cool radiator new hoses,,,seems like the pump is not pumping...I set up a tank out side the car hooked to the pump...there was flow but it seemed to be intermittent...and it didnt seem to increase with higher RPM's

Does this sound like a water pump flow issue? or something else....remember it happened with the thermostat in and out (blocked bypass). The system ran fine for 50 miles.

Fans fine.....coolant hoses cold when engine coolant temp is 240...

Please help...I am thought off obvious stuff......think I am going to have to remove pump

Tom Ulrich
Old 08-22-2006, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think that with everything you have tried so far, the water pump is shot and it's time for a new one.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:37 PM
12 Second Club

gotta be the pump, you should get a nice flow of coolant out of it, not intermittent
Old 08-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Teching In

I have seen these symptoms on several different engines of various makes and everytime it was the waterpump shaft spinning in the impeller. Unless you see water flowing well (which I do not see possible with cold hoses) replace the waterpump.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 39 Posts

Default overheating with Evans

It is difficult to fill a system with Evans coolant without bleed holes at high points in the cooling system to get all the air out. Either the system is not completely full or the impeller is loose on the shaft as someone else pointed out.

Could be the heater core had an air pocket when you filled the system.

You can check the impeller to shaft by removing the pump and pulling the cover off the back.

Steve

Originally Posted by tomulrich
Just got done with my TT427.I have put 50 miles on the new motor. Suddenly the engine started overheating. I have noticed the upper and lower radiator hoses are cold when the temp gauge is reading 240. I am running Evans water pump and NPG coolant. I called them they told me to remove the thermostst and block the bypass which I did...still overheats. (please no comments like the coolant flows too much with the thermostat out..thanks).

I have evans pump / be cool radiator new hoses,,,seems like the pump is not pumping...I set up a tank out side the car hooked to the pump...there was flow but it seemed to be intermittent...and it didnt seem to increase with higher RPM's

Does this sound like a water pump flow issue? or something else....remember it happened with the thermostat in and out (blocked bypass). The system ran fine for 50 miles.

Fans fine.....coolant hoses cold when engine coolant temp is 240...

Please help...I am thought off obvious stuff......think I am going to have to remove pump

Tom Ulrich
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 08-23-2006, 07:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Im going with steam pockets.

Quick Reply: overheating..radiator hoses cold