Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006 | 11:25 PM
Teching In

Default Blown head gasket

I ran my Camaro at the strip and on my 3rd pass it started blowing burnt anti freeze out of the exhaust. I threw the hood open and the upper radiator hose was pushed off the radiator. I think the hose was pushed off from high pressure in the cooling system. My question is, does the LS1 tend to blow head gaskets?
Old 09-16-2006 | 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah just like any other motor that races. Do a block test to see if you have Carbon monoxide in your cooling system.
Old 09-16-2006 | 01:08 AM
TECH Regular

Also try to remember if you didn't just forget to fasten the hose on in the first place. It could have been loose before this happened.
Old 09-16-2006 | 04:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Hugh betcha
I ran my Camaro at the strip and on my 3rd pass it started blowing burnt anti freeze out of the exhaust. I threw the hood open and the upper radiator hose was pushed off the radiator. I think the hose was pushed off from high pressure in the cooling system. My question is, does the LS1 tend to blow head gaskets?
Actually it is pretty rare. Are you the original owner, are the heads untouched and original?
Old 09-16-2006 | 10:33 AM
Teching In

I bought it used and it had some head work according to the previous owner. If the LS1 does not have gasketing problems, then I also suspect improper torqueing. I can't see any installation or parts missmatch causing the radiator hose to come off. Thanks for your input
Old 09-16-2006 | 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Hugh betcha
I bought it used and it had some head work according to the previous owner. If the LS1 does not have gasketing problems, then I also suspect improper torqueing. I can't see any installation or parts missmatch causing the radiator hose to come off. Thanks for your input
The GM MLS gaskets hold really well, get some new bolts (required since they are torque to yield), follow the directions on ls1 howto, get the heads checked for leaks and true surface and you'll be good to go.