Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil accumulator questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil accumulator questions

It's been awhile since I've post on here {was without the Firebird for awhile and got back into sportbike trackdays} but if any of you remember me, I hurt my motor at Road Atlanta last spring. I decided to build a "good" and I have it done now. I also finally got around to checking out my old motor and discovered that it spun a rod bearing. I was running M1 5w40 at the time and do not thing the oil contributed to the problem. I do however think it was a oil related problem though. I generally over filled it by .5 to 1 quart so I don't think that was it. I still have the stock gages {gonna fix that though} and I think I was having oil starvation problems when braking and cornering hard. I figure the stock gage was reacting so slowly that I didn't notice it.

I didn't discover the rod bearing failure until the new motor was already in the car {I know, I'm lazy} and I really don't want to remove the engine just to throw a road race type pan on it. That is why I'm looking into oil accumulators. Moroco has a 3 qaurt version that looks promising. I know absolutely nothing about these things, anyone got any experience in them? Accusump, Moroso,,,, any of them? The engine that is in it now really is a well built engine and I want to ensure that nothing as mundane as oil starvation due to cornering destroys it.

I've posted this in the Road Racing section also because I figured some of those folks may have had some experience with these setups also. Just didn't know which one would get the most exposure {need to figure something out sorta quickly}.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:05 AM
TECH Resident

I have seen them on several road race and circle track cars, but even more on high hp drag cars. In fact I have a brand new one that I bought 15 years ago for my project drag car. In theory it would provide you a little insurance in the event something in the oiling system broke or you uncovered the pick up screen momentarily (such as at the end of the track). I am not sure how well it would do a in a situation where it was in frequent use as it takes away a little oil pressure as it fills up and I am not sure how much oil pressure it is capable of delivering. One cool thing about it is it has a 1/4 turn valve so you can close it before you kill the motor and then before you start it again, open the valve and build pressure before you even turn the key. One thing you might want to re-consider though is running it over full. I have heard that if you run it over full the oil can get whipped up by the rotating assemblyproducing a frothy mess that does a very por job of lubricating.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:09 AM
TECH Resident

One other thing, get that ZX-11 to the track and see what it runs. I went 10.46 or so with mine bone stock and 10.22 after a pipe and sprocket.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pretty much every one that tracks a LS1 F-Body recommends overfilling buy a .5 to 1 quart. I know that there will be extra windage but it's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't things.

I need to update my sig., I sold the ZX11 and bought a FJR 1300. Never got a time on it, it was my daily rider and touring bike.