Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust leak?

Alright, I had longtubes installed about 5 months ago, everything has been goin fine. A couple weeks ago i noticed at low rpms when i push the gas i can hear a wooshing fluttering sound, its extremely annoying. It is not that loud. The sound is only present when i push the gas. If it is an exhaust leak, is there a certain place where it is more prone to happen? please let me know
Old 10-06-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

definately exhaust leak. make sure all your header bolts AND egr/air bolts are tight. i had a few leaks and it has always been a loose bolt. headers are a maintenance piece and need a good tightening every now and then in most cases. some people put loctite on the bolts but i wouldnt recommend it.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, so it wouldnt be down on the Y pipe or anything , right? Were the bolts accessable pretty easily on the headers? I hate exhaust leaks FTL
Old 10-07-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

in my personal experiance it has always been the header bolts. but any place on the exhaust that has bolts such as the y-pipe is a potential leak spot. for me its pretty easy to check the headers bolts because i have no air/egr. another way to check the y-pipe for leaks is to soap it, fill up a bottle of windex with water and put a drop or two of soap in it, turn the car on, preferably when the cars cold, and spray the soapy solution on the y-pipe/header flange and watch for bubbles, if there are no bubbles the leak is elswhere.