Sponsored by:

Oil pan leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 03:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pan leak

Long story short:

Recently went through a major overhaul of my Z06 including a twin disk Textralia clutch, forged 346, compression lowering heads, mild turbo cam, and a TTiX twin turbo kit. (side note: just finished break-in a few days ago, and yes, it hauls butt butt-o-meter says 600rwhp on low boost, factory timing, and too-rich of a fuel curve -- gotta get more road time to dial it in right)

Getting lots of drip, drip, drip off the oil pan though. There's a slit between the oil pan and bell housing, and even though the pan is wet beneath that, I don't see any signs of oil dripping down from it.

Just want to confirm that:
* If oil were leaking out the rear main, I would see it coming out between that slit between the oil pain and the bell housing/service cover.
* I know my whole pan is not leaking, yet somehow the whole underside of the pan is covered in oil. It appears to spread around the bottom until it's tough to tell where it's leaking from. You guys experience that as well?

Yes, I used a new oil pan gasket when I put the pan on the new motor, yes, I aligned the pan using a straight edge, yes, I used new front/rear cover gaskets and yes, I used RTV in the spots that the service manual indicates. Used the careful screwdriver method to put the rear main on as well.

As long as it's not the rear main I'll be mentally OK, I don't mind pulling the PS rack to get to the front cover as much as I'd mind dropping the motor again...
Old 11-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Its the rear main

Yes, i do believe its the rear main. using the screw driver msg on an LS style engine DOES NOT work. Install the rear main seal in the cover first, then slip it over the crank. Then bolt it down. I did the way you did once ad had the same problem. I then did it my way, and havent had a problem for over 20k!

Quick Reply: Oil pan leak