Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Chatter???

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2001, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Chatter???

Well I just got back from a driving vacation. While I was down in SC I noticed that whenever I hit the gas a bit I hear a metalic chatter from what sounds to be the engine. So far I havn't been able to isolate it since i've only heard it while moving. Any thoughts what it could be? Just worrying me a bit to be in 6th hit the gas a bit and hear it, I'd hate for it to get worse. Thanks a lot for help in advance.
Old 11-23-2001, 08:03 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: Engine Chatter???

If you were in 6th gear and nailed the gas, you were putting the motor under alot of load. What you heard was detonation, or "pinging". This could be caused by bad quality gas, elevated engine coolant temperatures (above 185F), or your car just running too lean under that load.

Always help your motor out by downshifting into a gear that lets the rpm climb easier. This will put less load on your motor and usually help to keep the pinging away.

And yes, the sound is somewhat metallic, it sounds similar to marbles in a spray paint can coming from under your hood.

Tony
Old 11-23-2001, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

Hmm I thought about the gas so i started putting in 91 rather then the 89 i was using for the trip, I'll have to check that more. it did do it once when I droped gears to hammer it, also it's not doing it just when i hammer the gas in 5th I can hear it with even a gentle touch of the gas. So pretty much its nothing to major to worry about and its just an annoyance?
Old 11-23-2001, 10:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Detonation can cause severe engine damage especially in aluminum engines if it's severe enough! NEVER run 89 octain in an LS1 your manual should call for atleats 91 octain, always use the highest available! I always run 93 octain if I could get 94 octain here I would run that!
Old 11-23-2001, 05:26 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Read your owner's manual - USE ONLY PREMIUM UNLEADED FUEL. 91+ octane only.

Tony