Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car smokes...video.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car smokes...video.

here is a track vid of my car. The first race, and the third are of me. Its a silver SS.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1278278761

Anyone have any ideas why my car would smoke like this, it is tuned, 12.7 AFR @ WOT, Compressions was all within 165-180, car uses 1 qt of oil every 1,000 miles. The car feels strong, makes no abnormal noises from the engine. It smoked just as bad without the PCV system, now it has a breather.

I am wanting to put a set of heads on this car, or a 100-150 shot. I dont want to go through a rebuild untill it acctually needs it. It doesn't feel like its really down on power, but i get tired of people telling me about ho bad my car smokes. Would you guys spray it, or just stay away from the bottle.

I heard in 2000 some cars had weak oil control rings, i guess is it a possibly that this is the problem here?

Any anyput greatly appreciated.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dang 1 quart every 1000 miles thats alot man. what kind of oil are you using?
Old 11-16-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mobil NON syn. 10w30, no difference in consumption form 5w30. It used 2 qt. in 3k miles when i first got it 100% stock @ 43,000 miles last June. It was owned my a 70 year old man, origonal owner.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Heh...my opinion. That 70 year old man never gave the motor a chance to break in. Causing this problem.

Rings like to find their seat with heat...(my Uncle used to say that)

Doubt you'll ever fix it until that short block is rebuilt/replaced. Just have to live with it.... (my opinion and i do hope you prove me wrong!!)
Old 11-16-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have lived with it...It runs strong, compression is okay, but it smokes
Old 11-16-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Things could be worse man....
Old 11-16-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

is it the first race? smoke looks white?
Old 11-16-2006, 09:31 PM
The know it all's know it all

Originally Posted by 2 SSlow
here is a track vid of my car. The first race, and the third are of me. Its a silver SS.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1278278761

Anyone have any ideas why my car would smoke like this, it is tuned, 12.7 AFR @ WOT, Compressions was all within 165-180, car uses 1 qt of oil every 1,000 miles. The car feels strong, makes no abnormal noises from the engine. It smoked just as bad without the PCV system, now it has a breather.

I am wanting to put a set of heads on this car, or a 100-150 shot. I dont want to go through a rebuild untill it acctually needs it. It doesn't feel like its really down on power, but i get tired of people telling me about ho bad my car smokes. Would you guys spray it, or just stay away from the bottle.

I heard in 2000 some cars had weak oil control rings, i guess is it a possibly that this is the problem here?

Any anyput greatly appreciated.

Do you have cats ? is the Cat overtemp protection turned off ?? look like fuel smoke has that blackish gray look to it. Extra fuel will wash down the rings cuasing oil consumption. Are your fuel trims excessively positive like plus 20% ???
Old 11-16-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
is it the first race? smoke looks white?

1st and 3rd race were me...
Old 11-16-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CollinsAutomotive
Do you have cats ? is the Cat overtemp protection turned off ?? look like fuel smoke has that blackish gray look to it. Extra fuel will wash down the rings cuasing oil consumption. Are your fuel trims excessively positive like plus 20% ???
No cats. It even smoked a little with cats. It really started smoking when i took my cats off, and added headers. Smoked a little more with the came. Tuner said fuel trims are perfect. It used 2 qts. oil every 3k when i bought it, 40,000 miles later it used 3qts every 3k miles. Compression test cam back faily decent, all under 10% apart in compresion. Runs storng, haven't had any problems with it, no noises. It just smokes. I want to put a 100 shot on it, just wondering if you guys would do it. Otherwise i was thinking of just doing some heads, about the same price, i cant decide.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:44 PM

No cats. It even smoked a little with cats. It really started smoking when i took my cats off, and added headers. Smoked a little more with the came. Tuner said fuel trims are perfect. It used 2 qts. oil every 3k when i bought it, 40,000 miles later it used 3qts every 3k miles. Compression test cam back faily decent, all under 10% apart in compresion. Runs storng, haven't had any problems with it, no noises. It just smokes. I want to put a 100 shot on it, just wondering if you guys would do it. Otherwise i was thinking of just doing some heads, about the same price, i cant decide.
Really ??? that looks like fuel smoke to me. Hmmm Could be valve seals. Wouldn't take much to check that. Drive down a hill a steep one at a good speed around 60mph or so put the rev up to 3-4k and close the throttle and let the engine do the decel. If its starts smoking right away when you slam the throttle shut i would suspect valve seals. If it smokes when go up the same hill but at wot with the engine lugging a little bit then i would go for rings.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When i come off of WOT and push in the clutch it continues to smoke heavily (the smoke that like follows the back of the car real close if you know what i mean). I'm thinking valve seals may be part of it, but valve seals shouldn't make it smoke like that while i am WOT. The tune is perfect on the car, it did it before and after... The guy that tuned it knows what he is doing as well, it was hooked up to wide band, and done on a real time PCM, very cool set-up for tuning.
This is one of the reasons i almost just want to throw a set of heads on it. It will give me a chance to check out the pistons, cylinder walls, combustion chambers, valves/seals, etc. I am very curious what the inside of the motor looks like. The plugs looked fine, a very small amount of oil but he edge of the threads, but not on the electrode. It's very strange.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It only smokes WOT, and just after WOT. it NEVER smokes just idling, or normal driving. As a matter of fact when i was breaking in the clutch, i used NO oil. That tells me its a WOT thing for sure.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:00 PM

It only smokes WOT, and just after WOT. it NEVER smokes just idling, or normal driving. As a matter of fact when i was breaking in the clutch, i used NO oil. That tells me its a WOT thing for sure.
got a way to log the timming going down the track ???
Old 11-16-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nope. track is closed anyway. I got my car tuned oct. 10th, and everything was very safe. Right where everything should be for a reliable daily driver. Not an aggressive tune. I want to put some heads on it, and get it re-tuned, and see where that gets me. I am sure it will still smoke, but at that point, i guess i wil start saving for a short block... I dont think its a real major problem, but i guess it could turn into one someday. I drive 90 miles a day, and have for over a year with no problems at all.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:11 PM

nope. track is closed anyway. I got my car tuned oct. 10th, and everything was very safe. Right where everything should be for a reliable daily driver. Not an aggressive tune. I want to put some heads on it, and get it re-tuned, and see where that gets me. I am sure it will still smoke, but at that point, i guess i wil start saving for a short block... I dont think its a real major problem, but i guess it could turn into one someday. I drive 90 miles a day, and have for over a year with no problems at all.
get a timming log at WOt in the higher gears. 3-4 would be good.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will have to see if i can get some software, or maybe see what someone will charge me to do it.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:21 PM

I will have to see if i can get some software, or maybe see what someone will charge me to do it.
If you know a mechanic have him check it with a Snap-On or similar scanner and watch the knock retard closely.