Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnosing Coil Packs...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2001, 03:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnosing Coil Packs...

I recently changed out my spark plugs and wires. One of the MSD wires that I replaced was horribly damaged. Can this cause any damage to a coil pack? Is there anything that I can do to verify their correct operation? They are pretty cheap though...I could pick up a couple new ones for under $50...I just don't want to throw away money on something that is perfectly fine. Thanks guys!

-Kris
Old 12-09-2001, 05:43 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Default Re: Diagnosing Coil Packs...

Use an autotap, see what cyl is misfiring (if any) and swap that cylinders coil pack with another one off a good cylinder. Retest with autotap.
Old 12-09-2001, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

what amount of misfires on that certain cylinder should you expect from a bad coil pack???? should it be off the boards or light misfires?
Old 12-09-2001, 07:29 PM
Launching!

I have never believed that AutoTap has ever HAD to report misfires for misfires that are actually occuring. I noticed a TRUE difference in the idle condition, driveability, and power after changing plugs and wires even though the SES never showed any problems and neither did the PCM.

As a result, AutoTap gives me no information. Is there some other way that I can visually or electrically inspect the coil packs for damage?