Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam purchase/install problem:

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam purchase/install problem:

Okay my cousin and I both have Trans Ams (99'/00'.) They are both automatic. We both want cams. The only difference is he wants a nasty lope and I want nasty power. Now the cams we are looking at are the "hammer" cam from MTI and we want to do the install ourselves. Now we know we can physically do the install but computer wise what is the option. If we install the cam, will the car even start? Or will we have to go to MTI and just let them do the install/computer programming. I see that people "send" their PCM's to MTI, Ed Wright, etc.... Is this what we would have to do if we did our own install. We would rather use the 500.00 on some other mod. Maybe this is not possible with this cam.

If so, which cam will go?

Jason Scott
Old 12-12-2001, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Default Re: Cam purchase/install problem:

Oh my cousin with the 00' T/A has mac headers/wide open borla catback/and a lid. I do not think he will be getting a torque converter any time soon.

Jason
Old 12-12-2001, 11:09 AM
Texas Director

Default Re: Cam purchase/install problem:

You should not have any performance issues with the stock computer with the Hammer cam. Get it made with a 114 lobe center and that will help your idle issues. The problem you will have will be your idle issue, not performance.

You might want to post a message or email Raughammer on this topic. He and I were discussing this very subject last week at length. He should be able to answer all of your questions. Good luck.