Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle surge and problems w/ cam, custom tuning or no??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 11:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle surge and problems w/ cam, custom tuning or no??

I installed the thunder racing 224 112lsa cam. My mods are gutted cats,flowmaster muffler, lid, maf. It doesn't idle good, it has a bit of a surge during cold and warm starts, and also A LOT of surging and bucking while creeeping along in traffic, it sucks. It is also running extremely rich. My question is would a Maf translator and drilling out the Throttle body hole solve my surging and idle problem just as good as custom tuning?? Custom tuning is a little expensive and I already have O2 simms, CAGS, and a hypertech, so I would not be benifiting that much from deleting codes, except for the mis fire codes that I have.
Old 12-18-2001, 12:04 AM
Launching!

Default Re: Idle surge and problems w/ cam, custom tuning or no??

I can do a budget PCM program for you.
$300 will get you a correct idle, higher revlimiter, gear ratio correction, CAGS disable and code related issues.
The only thing this budget program doesn't include is fuel and timing map changes.

Please call for more details.

[ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: Mike Morgan ]</p>
Old 12-18-2001, 12:08 AM
Launching!

Is yours an A4?
Old 12-18-2001, 07:01 AM
TECH Junkie

I have Ed Wright tuning, and a bigger cam than the TR224 cam. My car idles well, with absolutely no bucking/surging at low speeds/part throttle. My idle speed is ~975rpm.

I can't really say how useful the altered fuel/timing maps in my PCM are, but the idle with my cam is great.

I'd call Mike Morgan and get some more details from him on the budget PCM programming he mentioned.
Old 12-18-2001, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you may want to add a shim about .022" on
top of the idles set screw.. that worked
for me..

Regards
Terry
Old 12-18-2001, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

That's a good price for basic computer fixes, but you will still probably need a MAFT to get max power out of your set-up. If you're pretty much done modding, then skip the MAFT and get full programming. The car will run better and most of the low speed surge can be eliminated.

If you're not done (i.e. headers are coming soon), buy the MAFT and drill your TB. M6 idle should be high enough for that cam. After your headers, sell the MAFT and get programming if you still need it.

IMO, you need to ATAP first and check your IAC count and LTRIMs before making any decisions.
Old 12-18-2001, 05:37 PM
Launching!

I am planning on headers eventually, but for now I would like to stop the surging and bucking and lean it out a tad, it is killing the power because it is so rich. I read on Fast Chips web site that they do all custom tuning for around $350-$375. My only concern is if I ship it out and the fuel curves are off, or if I do a new mod and need it chnaged, then I have to ship it out agian, and won't have my car. Will drilling the TB and getting a MAFT solve my bucking and idle problem??

GeorgeC I sent you mail
Old 12-18-2001, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Brendon: You can't tell what will work w/o some ATAP results.

If your IAC count is real high, drilling the TB will definitely help calm the idle. If your LTRIMs are whacko, the MAFT can help, although you'll probably remain rich at idle. That cam is probably going to have some surging below say 1400 rpm even with tuning.
The MAFT can also lean you out at WOT and get back your power.

Since when did EW drop his price to $350 - $375?
Most places only charge about $100 for an update; so you can get tuning and then get it updated if needed.