Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the options in Programming after cam install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the options in Programming after cam install?

Here are a list of things that my 2001 Trans Am 6sd does after the cam install that the car did not do before. (B1 cam from MTI)

1.When you first start the car in the morning the cam will shake the car really bad for 5-10 seconds until the idle smooths out.
2.Any time you warm start the car the rpm's surge from 800 down to where the car will almost die and sometimes does and then back up to 800 a couple of times before it find idle.
3.I've noticed that the car will jerk or buck a lot if you are driving at a low rpm. (1500 or less)

Will computer programming (ED WRIGHT) be able to take care of these problems?
Old 12-28-2001, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: What are the options in Programming after cam install?

have you tried drilling out the TB blade? that usually helps a lot, especially on the M6 cars.
Old 12-28-2001, 11:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm interested in this too. I assume that you have to remove the throttle body in order to drill the plate. Do you have to replace the gasket each time? What happens if you drill the hole too large in diameter?
Thanks,
John
Old 12-28-2001, 11:25 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

[quote]Originally posted by JohnR:
<strong>I'm interested in this too. I assume that you have to remove the throttle body in order to drill the plate. Do you have to replace the gasket each time? What happens if you drill the hole too large in diameter?
Thanks,
John</strong><hr></blockquote>

The gasket is rubber pressed into the intake manifold. It doesnt need to be replaced unless you somehow manage to damage it, which would take a lot of effort.

If you drill too big of a hole, and the IAC motor can't get the idle down to what the PCM wants, it'll probably set a code and you'll idle at 900-1000 rpms. Slowly step up the hole size...I think eventually I got up to 1/4" and thats as big as I'd ever go. Works fine for my setup, but for smaller cam's or stock heads chances are a smaller hole will be needed.

When I had my 218/224 on a 114 cam, no hole enlargement was nessisary.
Old 12-29-2001, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) he could raise cold idle and adjust the fuel table to minimize that.

2) He can raise the idle to 900 and fix the fuel tables to eliminate that. Some of the problem may go away as the computer learns. I know the weather has only recently become really cold around our way.

3) He can adjust the fuel tables to help a bit, but some cam surge is going to be present at very low rpms even with tuning.
Old 12-29-2001, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help Ragtop99. LS1powerN20 it looks like JMX covered all of your questions.
I've drilled the TB hole out to two sizes under the 1/4. My IAC counts are in the 30 range.
I think I'll wait till I get headers before I talk to ED!