Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls6 spring tension

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls6 spring tension

I did some searching and found that it is not the best advisable setup, but i plan on buying a set of complete set of aftermarket heads within a couple of months

So: can i use the blue ls6 springs with a tame cam like the LPE GT2 ? (Camshaft specifications: 207/220 571/.578 w 1.7 rocker 118.5 CL.)

as i already have the cam and springs and don't want to buy new springs , as within a couple of months i have the proper setup.

I can't really do the cam WHEN i get the heads because the engine is out of the car now (non chevy) and when it's in i can't replace the cam i would have to take it out again.....

i found several different quoted max lift for these blue springs
What would be the problem of using these : coilbind or valvefloat at higher rpm ?

as i plan on staying below 6300-6400

thanks, JeeJee
Old 12-04-2006, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might try and pick up a new set of yellow LS6 springs if it's a low-buck setup. They won't be tired (if yours are used), and they'll have slightly more pressure to begin with. Anyway, It sounds like you've already been warned that spring pressure may be less than adequate. It will probably be close to enough though.

FWIW, I would NOT shim those springs any. I'd run them and if it floated the valves- just don't rev the car high (at all) until you could get some better springs on it. It might be worth a try, but you're taking a risk of those floating valves hitting pistons too. Something else to keep in mind. The bent valves probably won't hurt the pistons though.

There is a chance they'll hold it, but also a chance they won't. I actually own a 224/224 that worked well with stock LS6 (yellow) valvesprings. Go figure...

Ben T.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:57 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a verified fact that LPE installs stock GM LS6 springs (the 02 and above versions) with this cam. They claim the springs are more than adequate.

I have the LPE GT2-3 cam installed in my Vette, but went with Comp 918's "just because". I also bumped my rev limiter to 6500 RPMS.

Again, the late model LS6 springs are actually what the manufacturer suggests, so don't sweat it as long as the springs meet the 02 MY and up specifications.