Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the difference between Inline fuel pump and intank fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is the difference between Inline fuel pump and intank fuel pump?

I am upgrading my fuel system to accomodate my spray a little better. What are the differences between the two? Which one would you recommend and why?

Edited title "intank"

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: Pro Stock John ]</p>
Old 01-02-2002, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: What is the difference between Inline fuel pump and intank fuel pump?

Never heard of an "Intake Fuel Pump"

There are 2 types associated with these cars. The in-tank and the in-line. The factory in-tank pump can be traded out for a higher volume unit, however, I understand that the factory in-tank pump is good up to at least 450 rwhp.

An aftermarket in-line pump can be installed in the fuel line running between the tank and the fuel injector rail. These add-on pumps can increase fuel flow but have some drawbacks. Noise is one of them.

Personally, I dont think you need an upgraded fuel pump until you start making [very] serious HP.

Ron,
Old 01-03-2002, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: What is the difference between Inline fuel pump and intank fuel pump?

please don't assume that your or anyone elses stock pump will supply adequate fuel for 450 rwhp in every scenario.. actually, the only one scenario I can think of is nitrous.. where you can get by with 150 shot on most cars on the stock pump.. but thats it.. and do not trust the pump.. If your going to be on the edge, get a pressure gauge and watch it!

the pumps also vary in years i believe, 98 being the strongest.

Quick Reply: What is the difference between Inline fuel pump and intank fuel pump?