Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Camaro fit and finish?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Camaro fit and finish?

I currently own a 96 3000gt and I am considering an LS1 due to the fact that my non-turbo 3000 is dead slow. My concern is the "cheapness" of other GM vehicles. Are the 2001 Camaros as cheaply made as other GMs? My GF has a 2001 Alero and the thing has more rattles than a dump truck and more oversteer than a unicycle. Same goes for my room mate's Tahoe and my brothers Aurora. The brakes on the Tahoe and Alero wear out quickly and the rotors warp terribly fast. The Alero caught on fire with only 18k miles on it due to a blown power steering hose. I can honestly say I have only driven one Gm that didn't have a dash rattle. I test drove a 2001 WS6 last year that had 6k miles on it and loved it except for the vague shifter feel and gay traction control. Will the car drive great at 60k miles? I will definitely get a low mileage used ls1 car and let someone else eat the initial depreciation. Thanks for any opinions.
Aaron
Old 01-03-2002, 11:16 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: 2001 Camaro fit and finish?

Well, these F-bodies are not Lexus or BMW's, but that isn't what they are intended for. I'd say the build quality is average, not any worse or better than I expected for the money I spent.

You can avoid rattles if you install some weld-in subframe connectors ASAP. My car has 80K miles on it, over 1000+ passes at the track, and doesn't rattle at all. I installed subframes on the car when it was a month old.

Oh yeah, factory leather feels pretty cheap. I'd opt for cloth interior or go with custom installed leather like I have. It really makes the car feel more "expensive" and looks nicer. You will probably find the build quality of your 3000GT is a hair better than the F-bodies, but not by much.

moving this post to the chassis/body/interior section

Tony

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: Nine Ball ]</p>