Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! When turing the crank......

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! When turing the crank......

i just got done aligning the cam gear and crank gear. i noticed that when i turned the crank over by hand a heard a noise every now and then. its not a grind, and it doesnt really sound bad. is it just noisy because theres not much oil in there? it doesnt lock up or become hard to turn, it just makes like a noise like something rubbing on something lightly. i know nothing feel into the oil pan (bolts, lifters, etc) so is this normal? or am i screwed?
Old 12-08-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

No you aren't screwed. You just need to find the source of the noise and correct the problem. If your engine is out of the car it should be very easy. If the engine is still in the car then the noise must be directly related to the parts you installed on the engine. If you have difficulty finding the source of the noise, start removing the parts you had just installed and and turn the engine over and see if the noise dissappeared. If it does then you know the noise was being caused by a problem with one of the parts you just removed. Check each of the parts for any sort of abrasion that might have been caused by rubbing. Also, check each piece for high spots or burrs that might have caused the noise. It will probably be something simple. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^it sounds like its coming from the back of the motor, like around the flywheel. im thinking because i have the oil pan dropped because i needed to get to the pickup tube bolt, that that might be causing the noise. maybe the dipstick is rubbing, or somthing back by the flywheel is rubbing. im going to put the oil pump on and tighten the oil pan back up and then see if the noise goes away.
really the only new part ive installed so far is the cam, which went it VERY easily. there was no forcing or hard pushing needed. just a little bit of turning and it slid right in.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

could it be the bob-weight of your crank hitting the windage tray?......

Stroker2112
Old 12-08-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone else have this happen??
Old 12-08-2006, 03:23 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

OIL PUMP? think the noise is coming from the oil pump. normal
Old 12-08-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Blk97WS6
i just got done aligning the cam gear and crank gear. i noticed that when i turned the crank over by hand a heard a noise every now and then. its not a grind, and it doesnt really sound bad. is it just noisy because theres not much oil in there? it doesnt lock up or become hard to turn, it just makes like a noise like something rubbing on something lightly. i know nothing feel into the oil pan (bolts, lifters, etc) so is this normal? or am i screwed?
Change the bolts on the cam retainer plate to the ones that are supposed to be in there. They are shorter then the rest of the bolts like them that you pulled out. The bolt or bolts that is in the wrong spot is hitting a crank throw.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

im positive the right bolts are in there. i bagged and labeled every bolt.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^it sounds like its coming from the back of the motor, like around the flywheel. im thinking because i have the oil pan dropped because i needed to get to the pickup tube bolt, that that might be causing the noise. maybe the dipstick is rubbing, or somthing back by the flywheel is rubbing. im going to put the oil pump on and tighten the oil pan back up and then see if the noise goes away.
really the only new part ive installed so far is the cam, which went it VERY easily. there was no forcing or hard pushing needed. just a little bit of turning and it slid right in.
Don't try to diagnose noises with the pan dropped. Finish what you're working on then check for noises.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Do you have the pushrods and rocker arms on yet? It could be as simple as the cam pushing the lifter up and then it is sliding back down onto the cam as you are rotating it causing a slight tapping noise.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had my car sitting for a bit, and when i cranked it over doing the same thing it made noise too. I ended up adding some oil on the cylinder walls, after a few more cranks by hand the noise went away.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^you guys are making me feel better. i got the oil pump back on today, and ill be tightening the pan back up tomarrow. and yes the rockers and pushrods are still out. and the car has been sitting for almost 2 weeks now.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

You got any more pics of your car? That thing is gorgeous!!!! Love the TT2's!!!
Old 12-09-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks man!
unfortunatly not. just got a new computer so all of them were lost. since that pic ive also added some black halos and clear corners.
Now its back on to performance!!!!!! (if i can ever get this damn thing done.)

Also, i got done with tightning the oil pan back up before i went to work today. and the crank is still making the noise when i turn it over. ill be doing the springs tomarrow, and hopefully have this thing ready to fire by monday night, but if that sound doesnt go away im kinda afraid of starting the car.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

how do i add oil to the cylinder walls? just poor some oil down the pushrod holes?
Old 12-10-2006, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

its a 99 camaro. yes an LS1.
if that happened how hard is that to fix? i dont see how one of the lifters could have possibly gotten messed up. i used the JPR tool to hold them up when swapping the cams, and they slid in very easily, just had to turn the cam by hand a couple times.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Regular

I think BNKBRKR had the right idea. Sounds like a lifter. When you removed your rockers, pushrods and rotated the old cam, this nested the lifters up in their retainers. This is a 97 LS1 Camaro correct? It's possible that one of the lifters up near the firewall fell back down after you got the cam installed and started turning the crank. When you rotate the crank, you hear the lifter riding up and down on the cam lobe. You are at the point where you can install the new pushrods and rockers anyway. When you put the pushrod in the hole, push down and you will feel the lifter slide out of the retainer onto the cam. If a pushrod falls to the level of the others that you pushed down and this one doesn't push down, that is the lifter in question. More times than not the lifter falls correctly on the cam. Like DaddySS said, button things up then check for noises. I would get the pushrods and rockers in so you have some tension on those lifters, then you can rotate the crank and listen for noises.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:19 AM
TECH Regular

its a 99 camaro. yes an LS1.
if that happened how hard is that to fix? i dont see how one of the lifters could have possibly gotten messed up. i used the JPR tool to hold them up when swapping the cams, and they slid in very easily, just had to turn the cam by hand a couple times.
Sorry, I didn't know you were still awake. So I reposted not wanting you to worry. The lifters are probably fine. Usually people don't use the tool and they depend on the retainers to hold them up. Letting the car off the lift or jacks tends to drop them before you want without the tool. Sounds like if they are being held you should be fine.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

whew you scared me for a minute there. yea theres no way i was willing to risk one of the lifters falling. this is my daily driver, and im in college full time and am also working 40 hours a week. i cannot afford to be without a car for a month because a lifter fell haha. having it down for one week is killing me enough! i want to drive the SOB!!!
Old 12-10-2006, 02:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

whew you scared me for a minute there. yea theres no way i was willing to risk one of the lifters falling. this is my daily driver, and im in college full time and am also working 40 hours a week. i cannot afford to be without a car for a month because a lifter fell haha. having it down for one week is killing me enough! i want to drive the SOB!!!
i had a lifter fall and my car was only down for 5 days! ... you'll be fine. like the guys mentioned, bolt everything back up and then see if you have noises. I didn't rotate my engine, till the heads were back on and the whole front of the block was capped up. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. Unless the noise is somethin that makes you cringe as you turn the crank, its probably normal.